03 gt 3500 miles, is there danger ahead. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 3:08 am Thread Starter

Smile 03 gt 3500 miles, is there danger ahead.

Curious if any of you have any suspicions about potential problems that may occur with a bike that is 5 years old and only has 3500 miles on it. Bike being an 03gt.
For instance, bike did a 600 miles service but hasn't seen the 6000 mile service in 5 years.
Could or would the same fluids from the 600 miles cause problems.
Thanks

Last edited by gt06; Aug 5th, 2008 at 3:28 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 9:57 am
Rookie

I would change out the fluids right away, and drain the fuel and refill with fresh gas too. Make sure the tires are not dry rotted, they will need to be replaced if they are. You will probably be looking at a new battery also, then you should be good to go.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:39 am
Will ride for picts

Biggest danger will be the speeding tickets....

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 1:19 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccroach
I would change out the fluids right away, and drain the fuel and refill with fresh gas too. Make sure the tires are not dry rotted, they will need to be replaced if they are. You will probably be looking at a new battery also, then you should be good to go.
Ditto... I had an '03 RS and loved the bike. I still think it is the most graceful and artistically designed bike BMW ever made. The timing chain cover (lower left front corner, peeking out from the plastic) was prone to leak on most of them and needed a careful sealing job.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 2:42 pm
Enthusiast

I agree with changing all the fluids, including brake and coolant. The brake fluid is recommended to be changed every year and the coolant I think every two years. It wouldn't hurt to check the air filter to make sure no critters made a home there if the bike has been sitting a while. After all that, catch up on the mileage that the bike's been deprived of!

'03 K1200GT

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

thanks

thanks for all your help gang.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 3:26 pm
Addict

one more thing

if that bike has been sitting around, definitely replace the fuel filter and fuel quick disconnects. plus u will learn to remove the tupperware. the fuel filter requires tank removal and the fuel quick disconnects may be bought at omega. they are metal and the replace the plastic which gets brittle and breaks.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2008, 8:41 pm

Cool

If the bike has not been serviced in the past 3-4 years and you don't know how to perform the service yourself, you would be looking at about $2K if you have a dealer to do everything you have been suggested on previous replies.

Keep this factor in mind when you negotiate the price.

Unless the bike comes with extra accessories and it is in excellent conditions I would not pay more than $8500 for it. That would bring your " ready to ride" total cost to $10,500 which is already kind of high for a K12GT even with only 3500 miles.

Good luck.

'87 K100LT
'00 Valkyrie I/S
'05 K1200LT

'03 KRS - Sold in 2006
'04 R1150RT - Sold in 2006
'03 K1200GT - Sold in 2009
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 2008, 11:34 pm
Addict

GT06 I have read that tires should be replace every 4 to 5 years no matter how much tread is remaining. This is do to the rubber drying out.

this may be found if you google "Tire aging"
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 2008, 7:13 am
Addict

one more bit of advice

'scuse me, but i wouldnt be thinking of dropping that bike off at a dealer. would be akin to leading with your chin in a boxing match. change engine oil, the only eminent thing, and ride the bike a few months. get the clymer manual. a dealer will extricate over $1000 per/yr from the hip national bank if u listen to their marketing fear tactics. these message boards have helped me learn to service my bike myself. so dont be afraid. once the tupperware is removed, nothing is difficult about any service procedure. good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode