Gerbings...sizing - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 6:22 pm Thread Starter

Question Gerbings...sizing

Need advice on buying used Gerbings liner. Some ads state L, or 42-45. From what I've read the first number is chest size while the later is sleeve length. In another article the advice is to buy two sizes over your normal chest size, while talking to others it is advisable to size tight, closer to body equals better heat. What the consensus from those with experience? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 6:37 pm
Enthusiast

Sizes

I have their jacket. I am a 42 chest, but wear a 44 Gerbings Liner. You want it to fit snug, but not so snug as to restrict movement. Mine is snug, so the advice about two sizes larger sound right.

The second number is the sleeve length, measured from your neck, around the back of your arm, all the way to your wrist. Make sure to add an inch or two for your arms in an extended riding position.

You will feel like you've died and gone to heaven the first time you use their stuff in cold weather.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 6:55 pm

I wear a 42" jacket and 16.5" x 34/35 dress shirt. I bought a 46 x 34 Gerbing liner. The 44 Gerbing was a little tight in the neck to zip up all the way comfortably. The Gerbing is a tiny bit loose in the chest if I am wearing a T-shirt of Polo, but fits decent if I have a shirt & tie or sweater/sweatshirt underneath. I just snug up my outer jacket a little and it brings the Gerbing in close for a nice fit. The sleeve length was dead-on dress shirt size for me.

If you are thinking about the gloves as well, I would recomend getting the dual controller (I orginally had a single controller but returned it). I run the gloves at full heat but the liner at 1/4-1/2 power and stay comfy at ~20 deg F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 9:18 pm
Addict

If you get the gloves (highly recommended) then take Lee's advice and get a dual controller.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:44 pm

I wear a 15.5 x 34 dress shirt and the Gerbing jacket is a 46/34. The neck and sleeves are a good fit but the body is a bit big for me. I tried the 44 chest size but was uncomfortable with the neck zipped all the way up. I couldn't even zip the neck with the 42 chest size. The jack is MUCH more effective if it is snug fitting. I'm thinking about doing some sewing and taking in the body about an inch on each size seam.

Good advice on the dual controller for gloves, but don't forget that you need to order the jacket wired for the dual controller. One circuit is for jacket and one circuit is for gloves. Still only one connection to bike.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2005, 10:50 pm
Veteran

the gerbings website explains how to measure for proper fit. it includes chest, arm length, height and weight

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2005, 7:42 am

Smile

When I decided to buy a Gerbings jacket last year. I waited for the International Motorcycle Show and had them measure me at their booth.
I wanted to get the correct size that would work when I was either on my BMW or Ducati and I needed to cover the small of my back when on the Duc. The salesman and I walked over to the Yamaha area and I got on an R-1 so he could take the measurements. Had I done this myself or with someone else instead of having them do it, I might have screwed up and given them the wrong measurements.
If you have the chance to go to one of these shows this year, IMO, it's worth the wait to have Gerbings tailor a jacket for you.

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode