rear tire question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 6:18 pm Thread Starter
Addict

rear tire question

the last tire change on my '04kgt was to the metzler z6.......i personally dont see anything special about the tire. i had pirelli diablos on before. one thing bothers me. that metz brand new doesnt have any tread across the center of the tire. i looked the other day at the michelin pilot road, and the tread covers the whole tire horizontally across. in my way of thinkin, i'm on bald tire with a brand new z6...............whazzup wid dat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 9:33 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
the last tire change on my '04kgt was to the metzler z6.......i personally dont see anything special about the tire. i had pirelli diablos on before. one thing bothers me. that metz brand new doesnt have any tread across the center of the tire. i looked the other day at the michelin pilot road, and the tread covers the whole tire horizontally across. in my way of thinkin, i'm on bald tire with a brand new z6...............whazzup wid dat?
Wet traction is actually pretty good with the Z6's. I wouldn't expect anything *special* from them, don't know what you were looking for. They aren't necessarily grippier than another tire, but for me, they give the best compromise of traction and longevity. I'm getting around 5k miles per rear tire, and they provide enough confidence to let me scrape the pegs a couple times per set (pegs in raised position). I've got 84k miles on the GT, and except for the original Pilot Roads and two sets of Conti Road Attacks, its been all Z6's. I want to try the Pirelli's some time, and maybe the Avon Storms.

The Road Attacks were absolutely horrible for me. The least amount of life (4k miles) and the worst traction, especially wet. I tried them a second time, about a year after trying them the first time. I have had two bad experiences with tar snakes with the Contis. Bike Magazine in the UK rated the Conti's worst out of a 6 tire comparo of sport-touring tires. I hate them.

The Pilot Roads had longer life (about 6k miles) but I had a head shake experience with them also (not too bad). They seemed to have a bit less traction, although I would still use them. I once had to replace the front tire on a road trip, and it was with a Pilot Road. The rear was still a Z6. This was actually a decent combination. I liked it.

I've had a friend with an '04 GT that had a wobble problem with the Avon Storms, so I'm not completely sold on them. I have to try them myself to see what I think, though.

So, it depends on what you're looking for. To me, the Z6 is a good compromise between touring life and cornering confidence.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by billbeemer
Z6's DO have tread wear indicators and can be found by just looking at the edge of the tire for the letters "twi". That said, Z6's and Pilot Roads (including anything Bridgestone makes) are the worst tires I've ever owned. I guess if all you want to do is go in a straight line, they would be fine.

Avon Storms are great in my experience. They're on all 3 of my bikes right now and are the only ST tires I'll ride on since 90% of my riding is in the twisties. I can spin them in curves, but it isn't easy.

Pilot Road 2CT's are getting rather popular FWIW. There's a set in my garage waiting to be mounted....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode