Harm in overfilling oil? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:05 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Harm in overfilling oil?

I just changed my oil and it's up above the full mark, window is full. I thought I read on the BMWLT site that there is no harm in doing that since the level would still be under the crank. I read on this site that overfilling is real bad.

What's the scoop?

Joe Van Orsdol
Zimmerman MN
'14 K1600GTL Exclusive
'13 250XCW
'11 DR650
'93 XV1100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:25 pm
Enthusiast

what did you do, dump in 4 qts without looking at the SG? prolly won't 'hurt' a thing...

if it were my bike I'd back off 2 of the 3 bolts on the oil filter cover and get the oil level back to the correct level.

Mike Kelly

Triple M Engineering

K12RS

Stanley, NC
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2008, 11:48 pm
Will ride for picts

Biggest issue is that you are more likely to start a rear main seal leak. These seals are a real weak point on these engines and are costly to repair ($2k at the dealer). I'd highly recommend getting a turkey baster from the local grocery store, Target, or Wal-Mart and pulling half a quart out. Most folks on the board tend to only fill to center of sight glass.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 4:12 pm
Addict

Over fill

Increased crankcase pressure? I'd pull some out.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 6:36 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhhall
I'd highly recommend getting a turkey baster from the local grocery store, Target, or Wal-Mart and pulling half a quart out.
turkey baster? where in the heck are you sticking that to suck out oil on a K-12 brick? care to share your method?

edit: a quick search leads me to think you are recommending this for an 06-later new-gen K bike w/ an external oil tank perhaps?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 7:10 pm

there is no increased crank case pressure as the crank case is vented into the intake manifold. Usually when having too much oil it can get in the air filter and/or damage the catalytic converter. I would keep the level in the recommended range.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 9:45 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradnik
turkey baster? where in the heck are you sticking that to suck out oil on a K-12 brick? care to share your method?

edit: a quick search leads me to think you are recommending this for an 06-later new-gen K bike w/ an external oil tank perhaps?
Put a skinny tube on the end of the turkey baster, run it through the oil fill hole, and snake it through the hole in the crank casting down into the sump. Not hard.

Edit: I use a piece of sprinkler drip line for the tubing. And this is on an '03 K-1200GT.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Removing Oil

The easiest, and least messy way is to use a large syringe with some flexible medical tubing. Remove you fill plug and pull out the desired amount of oil. Works like a charm!

If you know anyone in the medical field, ask them to grab you a 25 or 50cc syringe and some tubing while they are at work. I keep some old syringes around just for this purpose.

Option two is to drop your belly pan, and open up the drain plug. Remove the oil, until your about 1/2 way, the re-top off.

Needless to say, with option 2 oil gets everywhere and makes a mess. But well worth the peace of mind. I keep my 2003 K1200RS at the 3/4 mark.

Pete
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2008, 4:34 pm
Veteran

overfull?

The book ses 3 1/2 litres and thats what I put in and have been doing so since, err, 1984. It fills the glass, but by the time I have done a couple of clicks I can see daylight, or sumthin.

But certainly do not overfill, bad for rear main.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode