Battery; Do I need a new one, where to buy ? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 5:56 am Thread Starter

Battery; Do I need a new one, where to buy ?

I have a 2004 K1200rs that is now 3 years old since I got it new in '05. I noticed the other day as I pulled into the dark garage that when I hit the brakes the headlight flickered ever so slightly. I put the bike on the battery tender which is something it does not get all the time since it is occasionally stored where there is no electric. Anyhow something happened even after a nice long ride and charge. My guess is the battery is going. I went to A/S to check out the price for a new gell cell and they list for $175. Wow !. Can anyone suggest a better deal on a gell cell battery and also are my observations indicative of a battery starting to go . Thanks

John C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 7:24 am
Enthusiast

I had a battery in a Honda VTX last 5 yrs with no problems and a battery in my BMW go out in 13 months. Sometimes you get lucky.
BTW, the battery life starts when they pour in the acid, so your battery is more like 4 yrs old or so.

KR Sport
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:34 am
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jChevy04k1200rs

...when I hit the brakes the headlight flickered ever so slightly.

... Anyhow something happened even after a nice long ride and charge. ...

John C
Get the battery load tested to be sure. A slight flicker when applying the brakes is normal; the servo assist draws a pretty good load on the electrical system.

What is the "something that happened" after the nice long ride and charge?

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:32 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up battery

I just changed the battery in my K1200RS it is a 2002 and has 50000 miles on it.coming home from Gillette Wy the ABS lite came on,new battery no ABS lite.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 3:55 pm
Addict

The ABS light is a good 'warner'. If you crank the bike after standing a day and it's sluggish with the ABS lights coming on after you pull away, then it's time to think new battery.

Although you don't usually find the battery problem in Summer. First bit of frost is when the dealers are swamped with customers for new batteries.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2008, 9:40 pm
Addict

My battery is bad also on a 2004 with 33,000. It will not stand up for 2 weeks if I don't charge it or ride it.

Has any one done some shopping around to find the best price on the best gell Battery?

Thanks for your help.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2008, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
Thanks for your input. To answer RH Halls question to the "something happened" ; it was just that there was the same flicker when the brakes were applied. I'll keep going with the same battery and just shop around for a replacement. The area BMW dealer has the battery for $120. I checked out A&S to get the part number for the battery and saw they were selling it for $175. Wow. Thanks again for everyones help.

John
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:43 pm
Addict

Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
My battery is bad also on a 2004 with 33,000. It will not stand up for 2 weeks if I don't charge it or ride it.

Has any one done some shopping around to find the best price on the best gell Battery?

Thanks for your help.
I had a battery issue a few years ago and looked at Batteries+ and they had a great deal on a gel battery for my 2002 KRS. I then called my dealer in Charlotte and they beat it by $9.00. I didn't tell them I had a good price from someone else either. I guess when you deal with your dealer on a frequent basis, they take care of you in the long run. That depends on the dealer though and who call the shots. I'm blessed with a good dealer.

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 9:40 pm
Enthusiast

Panasonic LX1220P from DigiKey for $74 is what I used in my K1200RS.

Brent Boshart
10 R1200GS ADV (his)
09 K1300S Light Grey (hers)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 8:19 pm

Westco Battery

I picked up a Westco Battery from my local BMW Dealer. Cost me $100 plus tax out the door...

I always have my bike plugged into the battery tender when not in use.

Pete

K1200RS/GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode