Replacing fairing side protector - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2008, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Replacing fairing side protector

Hi everybody,
My 04 GT needs a new left fairing rubber protector, the long one that protects the fairing in a dump over.
The bottom most mounting holes washer has pulled out of the rubber,and I split it and jacked it up good screwing around with it. I tried siliconing it back in place but to me it looks terrible.
Has anyone replaced one of those things ? I was wondering if it "popped" off other than the obvious screws, or whether the fairing lust needs to be removed t get at the mounting method, whatever that is.
Thnks for any feedback ! Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:28 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobent4
Hi everybody,
My 04 GT needs a new left fairing rubber protector, the long one that protects the fairing in a dump over.
The bottom most mounting holes washer has pulled out of the rubber,and I split it and jacked it up good screwing around with it. I tried siliconing it back in place but to me it looks terrible.
Has anyone replaced one of those things ? I was wondering if it "popped" off other than the obvious screws, or whether the fairing lust needs to be removed t get at the mounting method, whatever that is.
Thnks for any feedback ! Doug
Doug,
It's attached on the inside of the faring with nuts on studs that are anchored in the rubber. You must remove the plastic to get at it. I had to replace one of mine. Something like 7-9 studs hold it in place.
I think they're up to something like 130 bucks each now (Cripes, I know). I suggest ordering it from CHicago BMW for a 20% discount.
They're pretty hefty pieces that do protect the plastic in a fall, but their primary function is to keep the elements off the rider. The RS doesn't have them and has no holes bored in the plastic to secure them.
As a consideration of replacement cost. The lowest part of the attachment is on the belly pan. I think that's the part I think you're referring to (it kind of dangles there and easily forgotten when removing the faring and can inadvertently ranked off), you may just cut that part off and be done with it. It's only protecting your boot and not very visible.
The dealer pulled that piece off on my left side when in for service and I didn't notice it for about three months until I took it apart to service myself. It's holding in place well with the attachment screw on the belly pan, and not noticeable.
I never felt like going back to fight over it. I'm only marginally happy with my dealers service dept and have had other little niggles in the past (that I have brought to their attention). Just said F*&^ it in disgust when this one cropped up.

Good luck

Last edited by gcurtis; Aug 20th, 2008 at 11:33 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode