04 GT taller windshield suggestions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:20 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool 04 GT taller windshield suggestions

Doesnt seem to be much out there anymore on Taller windshields for my 2004 GT. Kinda looking at a parabellum but want to make sure iut will throw the wind over my head. I am 6'5" and have 2" risers on my bike. The 25" screen is about 5" taller but doesnt have the lip that throws the air "up". I dont like the looks of the Aeroflow and its touring windshield appears only mto be WIDER rather than taller, plus I find it pretty ugly. That sport seems abut the same as the stock GT sheild.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know this has come up before but not in a while.

Pat
04 K1200GT
Orient Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:54 am
Noob

Lip service

Laminar lip. Inexpensive pretty doss the job . I should be on commission the times I recommend it. but don,t stick it screw it You can use sticky pads to position. drill though middle take off sticky pads put tap washers between job dune
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 4:43 pm
Noob

I have a parabellum I think it is 4" taller than standard.
Even though I am not as tall as you, I have been disappointed in it - I think mostly because of the lack of lip.
I am currently using a Laminar Lip, still not fully satisified.
Will probabably to with an AeroFlow next year.
If you want my parabellum let me know we may be able to reach an agreement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 5:27 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

How tall are you? Handlebar risers? What arent you satisfied with? You getting the wind in the face or buffetting or what? Give us the complete rundown when you get a chance. The Areoflow is about an inch taller than the stock GT screen and doesnt have the lip either, from what I can see, and on top of that the Touring screen is as fugly as can be. (The sport screen is smaller than the stock GT screen).I'd definitely get some reliable input before going for another screen. Man, if I could get a screen for this bike, it would be perfect..... Pathetic...

Pat
04 K1200GT
Orient Blue
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 11:51 pm

I've had the same dilema with my 03 GT. Tried the Cee Bailey. It was ok. I was able to buy a used Laminar Lip and tried it out. I was suprised. It seemed to do the trick for me. I may have to reposition it once more and when the new Sargent seat comes in, it should be perfect. I am 6'1. I was going to try the Aeroflow but I just can't get past how ugly it is and ruins such a beautiful bike. So for now, I would recommend trying the Laminar Lip. They really are not that expensive compared to spending big money experimenting with another windscreen. Hope my .02 helped a little.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:40 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Did you put the Lip on the Cee Bailey or the stock GT shield? Im kinda leaning towards the lip but want to make sure I know what I am getting into.

Pat
04 K1200GT
Orient Blue
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm
Addict

Lip It

I have a 2002 KRS w/gt windscreen and a Lip, It's the ticket. I bought a Parabellum but found two things I didn't like and sent it back. (1) It stopped the wind from hitting me in the face, but seemed to have more turbulence in the shoulder area. (2) Even in the down position I could not look over the shield, I really didn't like that, especially when I'm riding hard in the mountains. The comfort screen w/lip suites me fine. I can just reach out and slap the shield down when I get aggressive for better vision, then raise it when I hit the highway. Call and talk to Leo at Laminar Lip, he's a great guy, and explain what you're looking for, he'll steer you correctly

Jim S.
* Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Biggest concern I have is that I am 6'5" and apparently have the upper torso of a 6'7" person according to Amber at Pirates Lair. I recieved an email from Leo and he says that the lip removes 2/3 of the wind and smooths out the rest and I guess throws the 2/3's of the air up and over 6-8" over the height of the screen (finding that hard to believe at 80 mph). Everyone I talk to SWEARS by their product but I hear time and time again that riders arent satisfied with what they get half the time. Amber at Pirates Lair doesnt seem to think this is the ticket for me. She suggested starting with removing the risers and ride it as it was intended for one thing which would bring me down 1.5" and go from there. Fricken depressing.

Pat
04 K1200GT
Orient Blue
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 4:32 am
Noob

Lip

I have mounted my Lip 3in taller than original screen taken at middle point and find that most comfortable position for me is about half raised position so think you will be ok . you also need to understand if you go for anything bigger it will affect stability at speed and create more buffeting . PS this will never be an LT.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 8:52 am

I put the lip on the stock GT windscreen. Where I have it now is a big improvement. I can move it upwards one more inch if need be. (the laminar lip) While I'm not as tall as you but close, I already know that with a Sargent seat it will lower my seating position more so that should improve things as well. However, since I have long legs I am expecting to have to buy a peg lowering kit from Pirates to finally dial in a comfortable long distance riding position.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode