Rear ABS sensor..... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

Rear ABS sensor.....

Was going on a 1377 mile ride this last weekend.....150 miles from home at 90MPH while passing on a two road in Northern Cal. The ABS lite came on.....I stopped in Redding to see my son and grand kids...was 115 deg. Checking out my rear wheel sensor.....There were no shems to remove.....and the sensor was at .50 in. not the .008- .06 as per book. I cleaned up the sensor and wheel ....with no problems in the last 500 miles. Bought the bike used with 9000 miles.....now has 33000 miles. There is no adjustment and I dont under stand why there is such a gap but the darn thing still works. Is this the wrong sensor from factory or was it just made on Friday. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2008, 3:59 pm
Veteran

What led you to the rear wheel sensor? Reason I ask is because a .50 or 1/2" sensor gap is to the point where something in the rear brake caliper/ abs sensor bracket is falling off the damn motorcycle.

I think you will find that most of the ABS lights are caused by low brake fluid in the rear brake reservoir. This is the first place I would look, being that I get about 16K from a set of rear pads the fluid level is always dropping.

Here is the rear ABS sensor adj. page from the '01-'04 manual if it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '01-'04 KRS ABS rear wheel sensor.pdf (389.9 KB, 74 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Aug 21st, 2008 at 4:15 pm.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Thanks Bruce for reply.....

What led me to the rear brakes was the survo was not working....in the rear...when I steped on the peddle....no moaning......front was working good. I did check the brake fluid first...cause that was a problem I had before. As far as crap falling off...everything was tight. Had to remove the rear wheel and caliper to get a handle on things. This is only my 4th BMW and the only one with Integral ABS. 03 K1200 GT. I have only been riding Bikes for 30 yrs. and a mechanic for the last 25......so with your help maybe...Ill be ridding for a few more yrs. I still dont see why the sensor is so far away from the pickup wheel....the sensor doesnt rub on anything there for how can it be so short...no shems to remove...sensor wheel is tight....sensor and bracket are tight...caliper is tight and low as it will go.....

Thanks again...Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 4:33 pm
Addict

The caliper can be 'jiggled about a bit' on their fixing bolts - One source of variation.

If there's wear in the final drive bearing the shaft may drop with the weight of the wheel when on the center stand. Do one set of sensor clearance measurements on the stand and repeat with somebody sitting in the saddle and roll the bike forwards. If there's a big difference in readings, then you have more serious problems.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:58 pm
Veteran

Since you bought the bike used,here is something to check.
I purchased my '04 KRS with evo/ABS brakes new, so I know nothing in the brake department was changed.
I just measured the circumference of the ABS wheel by threading some plastic flagging tape around it. It measures 23 1/2" +- a smidgen.
Maybe previous owner changed the rotor assembly with an older model?????????

I know it sounds stupid, but it's free!

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Aug 22nd, 2008 at 6:59 pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 8:06 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.....

I will look a little closer at some of the stuff uall stated....going for a ride Sat...maybe Sun too....may have to wait till next week.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode