Just bought my first beemer bike - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 2008, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Just bought my first beemer bike

Hello all. Does a 2004 K1200RS have a low oil level engine shut down feature? Does it have a tip over switch? For example, if the bike goes down and grinds the top of the valve cover off and loses its oil, will the bike crank up when it is upright again even though it has lost most all of its lifeblood? I think that is what happened to my bike. I am waiting for a new valve cover and when I went to put fresh oil and a new filter in there was only about a 1/2 pint left in the motor. I think it was cranked while it still had oil in it after it was picked up but then it was lost out of the hole in the valve cover. Has anybody had this same experience? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 7:07 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsdownagain
Hello all. Does a 2004 K1200RS have a low oil level engine shut down feature? Does it have a tip over switch? For example, if the bike goes down and grinds the top of the valve cover off and loses its oil, will the bike crank up when it is upright again even though it has lost most all of its lifeblood? I think that is what happened to my bike. I am waiting for a new valve cover and when I went to put fresh oil and a new filter in there was only about a 1/2 pint left in the motor. I think it was cranked while it still had oil in it after it was picked up but then it was lost out of the hole in the valve cover. Has anybody had this same experience? Thanks.
...nope no shut down switch...no tip over switch...and yes it will leak oil if there is a hole in the valve cover.....if your asking why it wont crank?...run?....your question IS?....I would wait till I have the new cover on before running it....then make sure your kill switch in not triped...how long have you been ridding the bike before the tip?....do you have the owners booklet?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 8:52 am
Veteran

Did the engine keep on running while the bike was down and if so, for how long??

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 2:39 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I just bought it this way and decided to take a chance so I don't know anything about the bike, just speculating. I'm waiting for a valve cover I bought from ebay. I'm very surprised BMW would make a bike that would run with no oil pressure (after there was insufficient oil to be picked up), I just presumed a low pressure switch would shut the engine down. We'll see presently! If I'm unlucky, I may be learning an awful lot about my bike in the very near future! I bought the bike with the view that the engine would need replacing so I didn't give much for it but all the rest of the bike is in excellent shape and has really been taken care of. It's red and my wife has named it the "Flaming Buffalo", with that big old fairing/bodywork on it, you must admit it does kinda look like a buffalo. I'm excited to get her running because I've always wanted to try a Beemer bike after owning an awful lot of the others (been riding and racing for 43 years). Wish me luck and I'll report back with the trial results in a few days!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

While I'm waiting for my valve cover gasket I might as well run the valve clearances. What are the recommended clearances for my 2004 K1200RS? And what are the tolerances. What grade of gas should I put in my bike? Thank you.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 5:10 pm
Veteran

Use premium fuel.
Here you go on the valve adj! The recommended clearances are anything within the tolerances.

For the best tutorial on KRS valve clearance check/valve adjustment go to: www.gunsmoke.com and click on the link to "K1200RS home."

You can get a manual on disc for your bike from between $0.98 cents to $9.00 on eBay!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf '04 KRS valve adj..pdf (253.8 KB, 15 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Aug 24th, 2008 at 9:52 pm.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2008, 11:22 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the valve info, is there somewhere I can get a front brake lever at a reasonable price? I'm camped out by the road just waiting to snatch my valve cover out of the UPS guy's hand!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 5:28 am
Addict

good parts site

a good site is www.beemerboneyard.com. good luck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode