ECU Issues? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 3:53 pm Thread Starter

ECU Issues?

I know there has ben considerable discussion previously regarding driveability (cold start-run issues), and I am continuing to see my problem get worse. Bike is an '04 RS with 9300 miles. I contacted BMW some time ago to verify if mine carried a serial number included in the recall group for ECUs; was told no. This machine displays all the classic symptoms including simply shutting off on occasion when coming into a town off the highway. (Start & runs immediately, but simply idles off). Does anyone know of any new information regarding the ECU issue or other items that may be the culprit. It is going in for some service items this week, so I would like to have some pointers to talk to service about. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:16 pm

An ECU and software map is what it is. It doesn't "continue to ... get worse." It usually either works or it doesn't. The sensors, on the other hand, can give erratic behavior. I would focus attention on the sensors that feed information to the ECU: the O2 sensor, the temp sensor, the TP sensor, etc.

I would also check all of the other obvious items that affect the fuel delivery, like the air filter, fuel filter, dirty injectors, even the spark plugs.

I once spent a week fiddling with maps and the ECU trying to get my bike to run right and overlooked some very obvious things. In this case, one of the valve guides was leaking and the corresponding spark plug was oil fouled. The gap was completely closed with gunk.

Good luck. These demons are sometimes difficult to nail.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 5:56 am
Addict

dunedin?

i live in dunedin too! have an '04kgt. i'd look at the fuel filter first. the first time i changed it out myself(24k miles), it had all this black stuff in it. my performance and mileage increased with a new filter. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2008, 7:44 am
Veteran

I agree with the posters above. You only have 9,300mi. on a 4 year old machine! Give it a good tune-up and run some gas through it! Also check the intake tract for cob-webs.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 3:12 am
Addict

................I contacted BMW some time ago to verify if mine carried a serial number included in the recall group for ECUs; was told no. .......................

I never like those kind of answers. The ECU firmware version and serial number can be read out using their Moditec diagnostic computer (If they have one), plugged in to the bike's diagnostic port.

My question would have been:

'What is the firmware version and serial number of my ECU and has there ever been a recall affecting it'. Post the info here and somebody who had there's changed may confirm.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 2:24 pm

I have an 04 GT and was told my serial number was "not" one of the ones, but after raising my voice a little and complaining, BMWNA saw things my way. They paid in full for a new ECU, and it completely fixed my cold start problem. Got to get your dealer to stick up for you too though. They are the ones that dealt with BMWNA to get the part fixed under warranty for me. Of course BMW does not want to pay for it because it is over $1,000 for the part alone.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2008, 4:25 pm
Enthusiast

Just to add my 2 cents worth, I purchased my '03 GT with 1,065 miles on it in '06. It wasn't until my morning routine changed in the fall that I started to notice the cold start issues. I saw on this board where there was a 'recall' which, I believe, was more of a technical service bulletin. Either way, I called my shop and told them the issue I was having. They checked on the ECU replacement and was told that the program had ended in December of '05 (if memory serves correctly). They ended up talking to the rep and getting the process completed for n/c.
I guess the short version of this would have been... Work with your shop and see what they can do for you.
I've been very happy with the bike in the two 1/2 years since my purchase... 42k miles and still going VERY strong!!

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode