Where's the button? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Where's the button?

You guys are going to get a laugh out of this. I just put my new valve cover on and went to crank the bike but I can't find the starter button. Can somebody tell me how to start this beast? '04 K1200RS. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 3:18 pm

on the kill switch.

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:04 pm Thread Starter

Oh dear, the kill switch is broken off flush with the switch casing. So normally, you would press on the kill switch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 5:18 pm
Addict

good advice

u scare me...............find a local independent bike mechanic to help get u started.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:31 pm Thread Starter

Hey Billbeemer, what's to be scared about? I'm just trying to get my bike running, how about giving me some help? I took the switch apart and see there are two sets of contacts. I closed the set directly underneath where the switch would be then pressed down on the set alongside and it just stops the fuel pump from running. The ABS and the exclamation symbol warning light next to it are flashing back and forth, would that stop it from cranking? Or is that normal until the engine starts up? One of the forum members told me I could get a manual off of ebay but I can't find it, any suggestions? Helpful suggestions are greatly appreciated.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 6:35 pm
Looking for better limits...

Well, if the kill switch is missing, the starter button is missing, too. No telling what contacts are what, as there's two functions, kill and start. If one allows the fuel pump to run when the key is turned on, that would be the kill-switch function. Next problem is finding and figuring out how to imitate the start button.

Or, just get the start/kill button from a dealer, fixit.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:05 pm
Veteran

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/Pa...1016c&_fcsfc=0

Try this for a manual.

Also a parts fiche can be your best friend: www.webparts.com

Here is the ABS warning light sequence.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ABS warning light sequence .pdf (61.1 KB, 17 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST

Last edited by brucecha; Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:29 pm.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 7:35 pm
Veteran

I got a question.
If you still have the plastic off (i am assuming it's a wreck) from when you first got the bike. Did you pull the spark plugs, put the transmission in high gear and try to turn the rear wheel to see if the engine is free?

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:08 pm
Addict

a little help from my friends

so here goes. get the clymer manual on the web. it will cost around $50. also, www.beemerboneyard.com is a good site for used parts. i'd replace the whole switch mechanism.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2008, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

Hi brucecha and thanks for your help. My bike is wrecked, but not too bad. I'm just trying to get it fired up to see what I have engine wise (I put a good valve cover on and changed the oil and filter). I fished out a couple of peices of ally and a few rocks in the valve area but the cam lobes were in excellent shape. I'll try your suggestion of seeing if the motor will turn over tomorrow but I just don't hear the starter motor trying to do anything, like clicking or the bendix throwing in. Thanks for the ABS fault codes, my problem is the alternate flahing at the 1 second intervals, would this fault prohibit the engine from starting?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode