K12GT suspension setting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2008, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

K12GT suspension setting

Ok, now the question is this, I am a fat bastard and i am wondering if anyone can give me an idea about the suspension settings I should use. Should I have it more towards the hard or soft settings? Any help is apprieciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 7:33 am

What kind of riding do you do? What are the road conditions? How heavy are you? One-up or two-up? Luggage? Distance? Condition of bike?

enquiring minds need to know
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Ok sorry about that. my riding mainly consists of touring with a few twisties, but i ain't no dare-devil. I am 120 kgs and mostly ride one up. Givi topbox with not alot in it. Prefer long sweepers to tight curves. Bike is in great condition '03 k12gt with 70k on it. Distance is as far as I can in the time that I have. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

70km on the original shocks, perhaps? They're generally good for 48km, and a bit notorious for failing before that. However, there are some out there that the riders are perfectly happy with, regardless of the mileage. The stock shocks only have adjustment on the rear shock, preload and rebound damping.

At 120kilos, I'd set the preload almost all the way in, maybe two clicks before it bottoms out. The adjustment is on the left side of the bike, a black knob about 2" in diameter. Twist it clockwise until the stop, then back it out two clicks.

For rebound, the best way is to see how the shock is working first. At the base of the shock, there's a triangular knob. Turn it all the way clockwise, then compress the shock (bounce it with your weight) and observe how it responds. It'll either be a pogo stick or slow as molassas in responding. Turn the knob all the way counter-clockwise, and bounce the bike again. If you got pogo the first time, it should be molassas-slow now (or vice versa...I can't remember if counter-clockwise is the same direction south of the equator ). Anyway, the response should be the opposite. If it's the same, the rebound damping is shot and technically, the shock should be replaced.

Optimum setting is somewhere between pogo and molassas. What you want is the shock to return to it's normal resting place the quickest. Sometimes this is with very little overshoot (pogo effect) noticed. The idea is to return the shock as quickly as possible to the rest point before the next bump.

However, there's a second point to shoot for. The front shock has no adjustments. For rebound, you may consider matching the return rate of the front shock, such that when you bounce the bike and compress both the front and the rear, they both return at the same rate. That gives you a smoother ride as the bike is "in synch".

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 7:40 pm

Suspension Set-Up

I would highly recommend going through the procedure in Lee Parks' book, "Total Control" - he gives a great step-by step procedure that works for any bike. And the riding/safety tips in the book make for a good read anyway. You can order the book on-line at www.leeparksdesign.com

Mark

'03 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue)
'00 BMW R1100SA (Mandarin/Silver)
'56 BMW R50 (for sale)
'74 R90S (Daytona Orange)
'06 Ducati Paul Smart Replica (for sale)
'81 Honda CBX SuperSport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode