Touring With The Lady. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:05 am Thread Starter

Touring With The Lady.

Long story short, I am a former sport bike nut converting to the wisdom of the touring bike ways. Anyhow I have decided that I really want something that my girl can be nice and comfy on for long trips (2k-4k miles). She is about 5ft 1in and weighs 110lbs or so.

I really like my friends' 04 RS. I know that I could ride that bike easily across country, but I wonder about her comfort. Will she be way better off on the GT? I would rather get the RS for its more sporting nature, but having the lady uncomfortable is a deal breaker.

I was hoping to get some insight from your experiences. Can the RS work or do I go for the 04 GT? Thanks gents!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 4:31 am
Addict

My lady is happy on my KRS, but then I had gel inserts fitted to the stock seat and a backrest on the top case. Leg wise she hasn't complained about the peg height yet. Weather protection on my older KRS isn't brilliant in the screen area and that matters for touring.

The biggest issue is always luggage capacity and what they say is essential to carry. I can squeeze most of my stuff in the small bag and 1/2 top case, the rest is hers!

Then you might want to think about (or avoid) rider to pillion comms.

I'd decide whether 2 up touring over long distances is going to be your normal ride behaviour or if sport riding with occasional 2 up trips is more likely. If she's keen, then she might eventually want her own bike.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:16 am
Enthusiast

Cruise Control? Heated Grips/Seat? More Weather Protection? Adjustable Windscreen? Storage Capacity? I think the GT has all of those things over the RS. If you are going to do a fair amount of long distance riding I would have to say the GT has some things that will make your ride more enjoyable. I've taken my GT back and forth from NH to FLA with my daughter on the back. Some days were 600 miles or more and we did very well. There are still some good deals on 2003 GT's out there....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:26 am
Addict

my choice

feature for feature, the gt will win out. u can remove the bags when u want to feel sporty. either choice wont address the main obstacle to staying on a bmw all day. that obstacle is the stock seat. now u can go and spend hundreds of dollars redesigning the stock seat, buying useless sargent seats, and installing gel and mods. u still wont have anything u can stay on all day. for me, i finally plunked down $500 to russell for a seat. problem solved! i've ridden several 7-800 mile days comfortably on the russell. trust me, my '04kgt is 3yrs old and has 45k miles on it.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:26 am
I'm riding

the best thing is when the lady rides her own bike, imho.
Both are comfy, both ride the same route and exchange impressions. Both feel pleasure.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 7:47 am

My girlfriend is about the same build as yours, and she says my GT is more comfortable than all other bikes she has ridden R1200CLC's, GS's, harleys. All I've done for adding to her comfort has been a Pirates lair backrest and an autocom. With her getting her own bike soon, I'm free to get a GS adventure (hence why my GT is for sale). If I could afford two bikes, I'd keep the GT for two-up. It is plenty sporty, and you can raise the pegs for a little harder riding, with lots of storage and many creature comforts.

Josh
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 9:32 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlajoie
Cruise Control? Heated Grips/Seat? More Weather Protection? Adjustable Windscreen? Storage Capacity? I think the GT has all of those things over the RS. If you are going to do a fair amount of long distance riding I would have to say the GT has some things that will make your ride more enjoyable. I've taken my GT back and forth from NH to FLA with my daughter on the back. Some days were 600 miles or more and we did very well. There are still some good deals on 2003 GT's out there....
I am very confused by your post. I have a 2003 KRS and I will agree with you on the weather protection, which make the bike hotter in the summer, and heated seat, But the KRS has cruise control, heat grips, an adjustable windscreen and the same storage capacity as a KGT.

The 2003-2004 KGT is the same bike as the KRS except for one or two factory packaged add-ons.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 1:46 pm
Enthusiast

Rs

I have an 02 K1200RS my wife rides with me, we just got back from a 4000 mile trip.at the MOA rally we rode an 08 K1200GT my wife DID NOT like the seat,my RS has a backrest the GT did not.we rode it for a day and did about 500 miles on it.

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2008, 3:17 pm Thread Starter

Woolf, does the lack of wind protection bother her or you? On either bike I plan on having a back rest for her.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 2:22 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartooth
Long story short, I am a former sport bike nut converting to the wisdom of the touring bike ways. Anyhow I have decided that I really want something that my girl can be nice and comfy on for long trips (2k-4k miles). She is about 5ft 1in and weighs 110lbs or so.

I really like my friends' 04 RS. I know that I could ride that bike easily across country, but I wonder about her comfort. Will she be way better off on the GT? I would rather get the RS for its more sporting nature, but having the lady uncomfortable is a deal breaker.

I was hoping to get some insight from your experiences. Can the RS work or do I go for the 04 GT? Thanks gents!!
As far as passenger there is no deferents between the two.....the back rest is an add on either way...but for yourself the added wind protection is nice...sure.. maybe 5 pounds more of added weight...for the added protection ..but will handel the same...same bike...the only thing I would add is that if using stock seat I would buy one of those large sticky pads for her to sit on....tends to slide forward and ram you into the tank...or better yet just go with an aftermarket seat...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode