Dealer cant read CPU - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 7:48 am Thread Starter
Noob

Dealer cant read CPU

Hey everyone,
I have a 99K12RS purchased used. It came with a REMUS exhaust and thats about it, as I can tell from obvious parts replacement. While in for its 12k service, the dealer informed me that they could not get the CPU read by their machine to do something related to bleeding the brakes. They also told me that they tried their system on another K12RS in the shop and it recognized that one fine.

Could it be that since I have a Remus exhaust, the previous owner possibly did a chip instal? I cant ask the original owner due to him passing away.

Any ideas? suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:02 pm
Addict

cpu?

i cant answer about not being able to read cpu. i would, however, suggest u bleed your own brakes. do a search, and follow the directions. u will save hundreds of dollars per/yr and have the satisfaction of knowing it is done right.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 2008, 12:59 pm
Addict

I can't think what they would get from reading the CPU to bleed brakes. Perhaps they mean't checks on the ABS system? My bike's a '97, I've replaced fluid and bled brakes many times. You have a very easy ABS11 brake system to work on, unlike the later bikes.

It sounds like you could have an aftermarket chip fitted, which would explain why they can't read it. That's a bit of a disadvantage because some time ahead you might need engine diagnostics to nail a problem.

When you've bought a Clymer manual and learned about your bike, remove the tank and locate the ECU on the right side. The ECU cover is sealed very tightly with silicon all around the cover. If your cover lifts away easily then chances are somebody may have been inside to fit an aftermarket chip. That's not a bad thing, but it's nice to know what you've got.

I have photos of my '97 ECU so if you can get inside and take some decent pics of the chips, post them for more advice.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2008, 6:45 am
Enthusiast

Dealer can't read CPU

I think I've installed every chip available for the K1200RSes. None of them cuased problems with diagnostics.

Since your bike has ABS II, the only thing GT-1 would be used for is fault reading and erasing, not bleed testing. Could it be the mechanic is unaware of this and tried to bleed test on a bike which doesn't have this function?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 7:12 am Thread Starter
Noob

wow, good info from everyone...I will have to clarify what was meant by that when I get home. I am sorry for not responding before, but my laptop was stolen, and my only internet access to this website (work blocks it).

thank you for all your info. I will check this winter for an aftermarket chip, and will get a manaul and continue to do all my own work. I love tinkering with stuff and until this bike and my latest car, have done all my own maintenance. Looks like its time to start again!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode