Aftermarket Exhaust Options - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Aftermarket Exhaust Options

Anyone have any suggestions on what to put on? I have an 03 K-RS with the factory plumbing. Have looked at both the Remus and Two Brothers set ups. Two brothers seems to afford more HP but at what noise level? I have been to the K12RS.com site and there is a pretty good write up. Just looking for a little more input. THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 4:59 pm

Staintune has a great sound and even better looks when freshly polished. Noise is a bit squidly for my tastes, but I try to be careful with the throttle in noise sensiive areas. Only downside to the Staintune is cost. About the highest $$ of any pipe I'm aware of.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 5:15 pm
Enthusiast

Exhaust

I went through this entire evaluation 9 months ago and ended up with the Staintune. The Pirate was very helpful in providing information to me. (In fact if i can locate his writeup to me on K12 exhausts, I will post it in a bit.)
I must say that i have been very happy with my decision. The Staintune looks great and really helped bring the bike to life. The other nice thing is that there is no repacking. You do need to get the Stain polish if you want it to stay sharp looking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:28 pm

I have a Two Bros exhaust on my 2004 GT and the first thing I have to say is BUY A ZTECHNIK CHIP to go with it!! Pirate sells them. The bike just didn't run quite right until I put in the Ztech chip. It had a rough idle and blew some black smoke on hard throttle. There was always a layer of exhaust soot on my license plate. Sometimes it was hard to start on cool mornings too. (yes I have the upgraded ECU). The Ztech chip with the Two Bros exhaust works great. They claim that it corrects the rich mixture caused by the lack of backpressure in their exhaust and I have to say I believe them. The thing works.
Other comments on the Two Bros. It wobbles around a bit because it is held on to the header by springs. I guess that's just the way they designed it but I added a stanless steel band clamp onto it from Jeg's. It's fine now.
The other thing is that it's a little tight where the header goes by the shift linkage. I guess some of the early Two Bros headers had a problem clearing the shift linkage but in theory the problem was corrected years ago. That said, mine was purcheased in 2004 by my dealer from an unknown vendor and it is very close to the shift linkage. After some adjusting, it clears the shift, but it's close. All the other Two Bros exhausts that I've seen have had more than enough clearance so I assume maybe the header I got was old stock.
I got the C4 exhaust and I like the sound of it. I guess it's the louder of the K1200 exhausts but to my ear it sounds just right. I have 16-17 thousand on it and it has gotten a little louder with age but I like it.
Mine is also the stainless steel. It cleans up easily with some Simichrome
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 7:32 pm

I've been full-circle. After installing the 2-Bro and RW chip, I eventually removed the pipe and went back to stock. The combination of noise, dirty emissions and poor milage with the pipe convinced me to tolerate the bland OEM unit.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:03 pm

Remus exhaust

Put Remus exhaust on (about $400 plus $400 for header, from Bob's BMW) at 35,000 miles, now have 51,000. No chip, but did go to K&N flters for a lilttle more air movement. Maybe a little HP boost, but it now sounds like a motorcycle rather than a sewing machine. No problems, other than I didn't get enough clearance between the bottom of the convertor and the centerstand-eventually a small stress crack developed around the inlet flange, which I had rewelded.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 12:19 am
Addict

I have had Remus on since new, on my 04. Now have 14,000 miles. No fit up problems.

Get 43 MPG, lots of low end power, and more top end, compared to my 02 K12rs w/stock exhaust.
Sounds like a real bike should.
I have the BMW ecu. No power chip. It does not blow any black smoke but it is rich at idle. I can smell it at a red light. I may have to power chip it for the richness at idle.

Bazra
aka: the Flash
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:30 am

When I bought my 2002 K1200RS here in Hong Kong (a US spec originally, diverted from a bike show in Taiwan to Hong Kong, life is never simple), my dealer had a stainless AC Schnitzer end can and a pair of AC Schnitzer 5.5 inch wheels. All of which have been on my bike since the first service. As the brand is 'sort of' factory there is no problem with fitting or with warranty. As everyone says, any after-market makes the bike sound like one and not like a sewing machine. The look is well up to BMW standard.

Ian Thomas
Kowloon
Hong Kong.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 9:13 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input! A few mentioned the Z-Teknik chip, how does it compare to the Rhinewest?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:38 am

I just mounted up a Remus on my 03 KRS. I haven't removed the baffle yet (it is removable for "track purposes only" (wink wink). It is almost, if not as quiet as stock - yet is sounds really really cool at the same time. I think I'm going to stay in stealth mode and leave the baffle in. Nice looking pipe, fits well, and yes I do have the Reinwest (Rhinewest?) chip installed.

Dave.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode