replace stock exhaust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2008, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

replace stock exhaust

Hi guys, is there anything i need to know about changing a damaged stock exhaust with a new stock exhaust? It all looks very basic but i thought i would ask on here and see if anyone has any tips. Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 5:45 pm

You should replace the copper gaskets which are likely to be stuck up inside the exhaust ports when you remove the headers. When re-installing them use a TINY dab of hi-temp silicone (red stuff?) on the new ones to keep them from falling out as you re-install the headers. I don't think there's any up/down side to the gaskets tho' you will notice one side has a 'fold-line' where the gasket was formed to double the thickness of the copper sheet. Some of the exhaust studs will back out on you when you try to remove the flange nuts... use another nut as a lock-nut to re-thread these into the head before replacing the headers. Torque the flange nuts equally in two or three 'steps' to reach the final torque value of 22nm, you will likely need a pivot socket to reach some of the flange nuts.. I had to use an open end wrench on one I couldn't get a socket to at all (estimating the same torque as the others) Don't tighten the exhaust hangar bolt until the flange bolts have all been tightened to their final values... recheck the flange bolt torque in a week (after several heat/cool cycles) and then at every oil change thereafter as they have been known to loosen. You may also want to put a TINY smear of copper (hi-temp) anti-seize on the O2 sensor threads before reinstalling it, just be very careful to not get any of it on the sensor itself.... that's all I got from memory... maybe some of the more experienced mechanics here can add some advice as well... good luck
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 2008, 5:14 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks motor that helped confirm what i did. cheers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode