'04 K12RS ECU & O2 Sensor - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:59 pm Thread Starter

'04 K12RS ECU & O2 Sensor

The service provider for my '04 K1200 RS, Eurocycles of Tampa Bay, advises this bike needs a new ECU and O2 sensor at 9400 miles. With an estimate of $1700+ for this repair, I am searching for alternatives. This vehicle is not included in the original group identified in the early recall for bad ECUs, but demonstrates the cold start-run issues described in the factory recall. I have heard there are instances where BMWNA has replaced defective ECUs as related to the earlier recall/service bulletin beyone the original service bulletin on other bikes. Anyone familiar with this? Any sources for updated ECUs in the used parts market, etc? Anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks for any information. Lance Somers, Dunedin, Florida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 5:04 am
Addict

$1700---wtf!

amazing how those dealers charge an arm and a leg without flinching, huh? one guy i know called a dealer to inquire about a brake fluid flush> he was told sometimes they dont get it right in the first instance, so the charge would be between $175 and $700. u think the guy bought a clymer manual that day? true dat! seriously, try www.beemerboneyard.com for the ecu. personally, i'd call bmwna and explain your situation. i bet they give u an ecu on warranty, especially if u stress the safety issue of erratic stopping and starting. make sure u get all names of people u talk to, and document, document, document.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:27 am
Noob

If you are talking about the O2 sensor that screws into the exhaust, let me know I've got a used one I'll sell you for cheap. It's not too difficult to install but you will have to remove the exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 2008, 9:13 pm
Enthusiast

ECU and O2 Sensor

You almost certainly have the cold start syndrome. The O2 sensor has nothing to do with this problem though; the O2 sensor does nothing until warmed up, which takes at least 15 minutes of running time.

I have an "improved" motronic which eliminated the cold start/driveability problem, but it made my bike surge enough that I removed it and reinstalled the original. I can live with the cold start problem.

A less expensive fix than replacing the motronic, if BMW won't pay for it, is to install an aftermarket chip. They usually provide enough extra fuel and ignition advance to get rid of the cold start problem
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 3:10 am
Addict

another thought

if u want, we can ride over to daytona bmw for a second look at the bike some morning. lettem know u are coming from across the state and will need them to take a quick look at the bike. plus, the ride to daytona is beautiful, if u go north, then across us 40 thru ocala forest. takes about 4hrs this way. great hamburgers at harley cafe, a 1/2 block from bmw dealership. lemme know.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Sep 16th, 2008, 4:23 pm
Enthusiast

I had the 'cold start' issue with my bike. Even though the service bulletin had expired and the bike was supposedly outside of the range thought to have the problem, my dealer was able to convince BMWNA to pay for the work... Work with your dealer....

.....Mike
'10 K1300GT
Royal Blue Metallic
Garmin Zumo 660
Nolan N-103 w/ BT Kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode