RS always pulls to the right - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

RS always pulls to the right

I have a 2004. Since new it has pulled to the right. Local dealer worked to correct the problem and seemed to make it tolerable. I think I was just not wanting my baby to be "wrong". Thought maybe the tire was the problem (already cupped at first dealer work). Recently installed new bridgestones, still pulls to the right. Now that I have 7500 miles on the old girl, the puppy love has turned to concern that I will have to push the left handle bar for the rest of my life.

On the other 5 bikes I have owned over my life, one could sit up in the seat, not touch the handlebars, and be in complete control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 10:53 pm

Arrow Try the archives

Hey, rcorsi, this topic has been discussed many times in the old forum. I don't have first-hand knowledge about this problem or the solution, but I would recommend that you search thru and read the archives for possible solutions.

Another option you have, since you are still under warranty (right?), is to take it to a dealer for a fix.

Good luck.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:52 pm
Addict

Detour has good advice look in the archives. Lots of info.

Most will drift to the right, some more than others. The weight of the engine is off center. (allot) So BMW offsets the rear wheel to counter for it. They put a spacer in to move the wheel to left of center.
It is more noticeable on newer models with the 5.5 inch wheel and lager rear tire.

You may have to increase the thickness of the wheel spacer for more offset to help reduce the drift to the right.
But don't over do it or the bike may not handle too well.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:50 pm

shaft drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcorsi
On the other 5 bikes I have owned over my life, one could sit up in the seat, not touch the handlebars, and be in complete control.
rcorsi,

Is this your first shaft driven bike. All shaft bikes will pull to the side of the shaft, it's a physics thing!

ONON-
Mark
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 6:53 pm
Noob

Pulls to right.

I also noticed that my 2002 KS1200RS pulled to the right when I let go of the handle bars. But if I set the cruise control on, and the bike accelerates, it will go straight or even pull to the left. It all has to do with the torque of the engine. Try it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:32 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazra
Detour has good advice look in the archives. Lots of info.

Most will drift to the right, some more than others. The weight of the engine is off center. (allot) So BMW offsets the rear wheel to counter for it. They put a spacer in to move the wheel to left of center.
It is more noticeable on newer models with the 5.5 inch wheel and lager rear tire.

You may have to increase the thickness of the wheel spacer for more offset to help reduce the drift to the right.
But don't over do it or the bike may not handle too well.

Bazra
aka: The Flash
On the other hand...I had a spacer (with a 5.5" wheel) that I removed and it improved the tendancy to drift to the right when the bars were unloaded. Then, the pinion seal was replaced, and the technician put a spacer back in...only I didn't know that until the tire needed replacing. Didn't notice any diffrence in handling. Hmmmm...no biggie, other than now that the spacer was there, the bike still handled the same. Now that the spacer is now gone, with the cruise control on, I don't have to touch the bars nor do I have to weight the left peg anymore to keep it straight. I'm sure we're talking millimeters here, and the spacer is 2mm if I remember right, but the work done to replace the seal changed the position of the driveshaft to the wheel. Having the rear wheel left of where it should be moves the bike to the right. Centered, and there's no drift. No spacer when you need it, and it'll drift to the left. All this based on a cruise control, where there's no accelleration (and accompanying torque twist to the bike). At least, that's my take on it.

Furman,
When you activate the cruise control, the bike changes, whether it's speed or drift. When you activate it, what's happening 1/2 mile later? Stable, drifts left/right? Just curious...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:39 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
rcorsi,

Is this your first shaft driven bike. All shaft bikes will pull to the side of the shaft, it's a physics thing!

ONON-
Mark
Mark
You left something out...which way does the shaft turn? There's a torsional twist, right?
Next you'll be telling us that you can't wheelie a shaft-drive bike...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 4:28 am

exhaustive discussion on this topic in previous forum. bottom line:
1. some do and some don't..my '02 didn't then my '03 did and like you I was concerned
2. delete spacer on some and it can correct pthe problem
3. as long as it doesn't pull with hands on bars you are fine
4. practice leaning left when you release your hands
5. it is a bmw "thing" get used to it
6. if you want perfect, buy a Honda!!!
best,
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Next you'll be telling us that you can't wheelie a shaft-drive bike...
Ray-

My bike isn't aware of that fact... although, I don't like putting the front wheel up on a 16,000 dollar bike and a heavy one to put back down. But from first hand knowledge, it is very possible to get the front up - but just like in aviation, the landing is the most important part.

ONON-
Mark
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:18 pm Thread Starter

This is not my first shaft driven bike. I test rode a R1200RT, R1200GS and R120ST. None of them pulled to the right with hands off bars. It pulls so hard on this bike that I am conscious of having to push the left bar at all times.

I am going to complain to the service department about the problem after all the parts are in that they ordered when they dropped my bike during a tire change (another story entirely). I just don't think a $18k bike should have a problem like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode