Re:Radial Patch - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 8:26 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Radial Patch

Has anybody used a radial patch on a bike tire? I picked up a nail dead center of my back tire that's not even CLOSE to worn out and I do not have a nickel to replace it right now so I've been driving it around with the nail in place and it's not losing any kind of air so is there any reason why I can't put a radial patch into it? I will replace it as soon as I can get some money together but that's not going to happen for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:34 pm
Will ride for picts

I plug patched a Z6 and rode it for several thousand miles no problems. I even forgot the plug was there and did several triple digit runs during the heat of summer in southwestern Colorado. Don't recommend doing that, but my experience with a plug was quite satisfactory, and I'd do it again.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:11 am
Veteran

I have used plugs...no problem...better to go inside and patch for peace of mind...if your not loosing air then maybe the object didnt go tooooo far in....then your good to go....have plug handy and then pull nail...might not even need plug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 10:17 am

I've plugged a few motorcycle tires. Most any repair that works on a car tire will work fine on a motorcycle tire. It's not recommended to run on a repaired motorcycle tire because of safety, obviously, but the risk is slim in my opinion. I use the plugs that are brown and sticky, they look like little Slim Jims. Ream the hole, goober the plug up with rubber cement, and shove it in. I've been repairing with these things since the late 70's and never had one fail.

The radial patch should work fine too, but that's a lot of work to pull the tire off the wheel, then try to spread it so you can work in there and see what you are doing. If I was going to the trouble of removing the tire, I think I'd scrape a few bucks together and put on a different tire.

I've even used these things (plugs) when I know I shouldn't have, and they've held:

Once in the sidewall of a plumbing truck. The tire was nearly new and the plumber was too tight, so we plugged the sidewall. He wore the tire out.

I currently have three plugs, side by side, in a 3/4" cut in the middle of a Michelin on my Accord. When I put them in, it was a temporary fix until I could buy a tire, but they're still in there after a couple of years. I know, I know, risky risky.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 26th, 2008, 11:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
I've plugged a few motorcycle tires. Most any repair that works on a car tire will work fine on a motorcycle tire. It's not recommended to run on a repaired motorcycle tire because of safety, obviously, but the risk is slim in my opinion. I use the plugs that are brown and sticky, they look like little Slim Jims. Ream the hole, goober the plug up with rubber cement, and shove it in. I've been repairing with these things since the late 70's and never had one fail.

The radial patch should work fine too, but that's a lot of work to pull the tire off the wheel, then try to spread it so you can work in there and see what you are doing. If I was going to the trouble of removing the tire, I think I'd scrape a few bucks together and put on a different tire.

I've even used these things (plugs) when I know I shouldn't have, and they've held:

Once in the sidewall of a plumbing truck. The tire was nearly new and the plumber was too tight, so we plugged the sidewall. He wore the tire out.

I currently have three plugs, side by side, in a 3/4" cut in the middle of a Michelin on my Accord. When I put them in, it was a temporary fix until I could buy a tire, but they're still in there after a couple of years. I know, I know, risky risky.
..I have seen the sales reps car with these in the tires...probly 20 or so in the side wall...i have been using them for 20 pluse years...never had one fail either...but on a bike tire...just keeps you thinking about what if.....takes away from the ride...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 4:25 am
Addict

I've ridden on tires plugged by professional repairers doing only what UK rules allow. - that is an inside patch, vulcanised to the inside lining. These are some of MY rules:

Unlike cars, we only have 2 wheels and there's no second chance with a bike tire. I'll ride on a repaired rear, but never a repaired front.

In UK there are regulations as to position and closeness of inside patch repairs. You will NEVER get any tire repaired in the side wall by a legitimate repairer and I wouldn't want to ride on a bike with a repaired sidewall. I haven't had a tire repaired recently, but the way things are going here, it wouldn't surprise me if most repairers would avoid doing a repair.

The EU are soon to stop workers using ladders to clean your house windows, because sometimes they fall off and get hurt!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Re:Radial Patch

Thanks everyone for your helpful replies and I have indeed put a radial patch into my rear tire and it turned out to be an easier fix then if I'd done it to a car tire. I'm not concerned about it's safety but I will nun the less replace the tire as soon as I can, but I'm glad that I can continue to ride until I do replace it.:-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode