Tall Shield, Short Shield, Shield in the Middle - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 6:10 pm Thread Starter

Tall Shield, Short Shield, Shield in the Middle

I've noticed that this board doesn't get a lot of action. I guess I'll write something, then I'll have something new to read.

I tried out my Aeroflow windshield yesterday. Here's the skinny:

When I bought my 2001 a few months ago, it came with a BMW comfort shield installed, and included the stocker and an Aeroflow on the side. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Aeroflow had no hardware. I rode with the comfort shield for a while, then swapped to the stocker. I love how the stocker puts my helmet in the airstream and doesn't cause any turbulent air at all. Well, relatively little turbulent air. I also got used to how the stocker allows enough flow to help support my body at speed.

I really wanted to try out the Aeroflow, so I called and asked to have them send me the hardware. She quoted me something like $220 for a hardware kit. I think not, so I built hardware out of spare steel pieces in my scrap pile. It took a while, and it doesn't look like their machined aluminum stuff, but it works great. I rode the "Sun Valley Loop" yesterday. It's about a 360 mile jaunt through Idaho's central mountains. It's a love/hate relationship with this shield. On the plus side, it blocks a lot of air. On the minus side, it blocks a lot of air. Dang.

When I left home, it was 49 degrees outside and the shield really helped keep me warm. The cockpit was quiet and for the first time I was able to listen to the MP3 player at a comfortable volume level. That's the good.

When I got home, it was 77 degrees outside, and I had beads of sweat on my forehead under my Arai. This NEVER happens, even in mid-summer. I also came home with very tired wrists and legs. There is no airflow to help support my body weight.

I tried sitting up, as if I had bar backs and lowered pegs, but then my helmet top is back in the turbulence. I took my bar backs off a while ago, and raised my pegs, but I don't think that going back will fix the screen problem.

In summary, I'm going back to the stock short screen. It's all a trade off, but I guess I favor all the advantages of the stocker and I can put up with the few disadvantages.

For those of you who use tall shields, how do you deal with the added stress on your arms and legs without sitting straight up like a GoldWing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:10 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
I've noticed that this board doesn't get a lot of action. I guess I'll write something, then I'll have something new to read.

I tried out my Aeroflow windshield yesterday. Here's the skinny:

When I bought my 2001 a few months ago, it came with a BMW comfort shield installed, and included the stocker and an Aeroflow on the side. I didn't realize it at the time, but the Aeroflow had no hardware. I rode with the comfort shield for a while, then swapped to the stocker. I love how the stocker puts my helmet in the airstream and doesn't cause any turbulent air at all. Well, relatively little turbulent air. I also got used to how the stocker allows enough flow to help support my body at speed.

I really wanted to try out the Aeroflow, so I called and asked to have them send me the hardware. She quoted me something like $220 for a hardware kit. I think not, so I built hardware out of spare steel pieces in my scrap pile. It took a while, and it doesn't look like their machined aluminum stuff, but it works great. I rode the "Sun Valley Loop" yesterday. It's about a 360 mile jaunt through Idaho's central mountains. It's a love/hate relationship with this shield. On the plus side, it blocks a lot of air. On the minus side, it blocks a lot of air. Dang.

When I left home, it was 49 degrees outside and the shield really helped keep me warm. The cockpit was quiet and for the first time I was able to listen to the MP3 player at a comfortable volume level. That's the good.

When I got home, it was 77 degrees outside, and I had beads of sweat on my forehead under my Arai. This NEVER happens, even in mid-summer. I also came home with very tired wrists and legs. There is no airflow to help support my body weight.

I tried sitting up, as if I had bar backs and lowered pegs, but then my helmet top is back in the turbulence. I took my bar backs off a while ago, and raised my pegs, but I don't think that going back will fix the screen problem.

In summary, I'm going back to the stock short screen. It's all a trade off, but I guess I favor all the advantages of the stocker and I can put up with the few disadvantages.

For those of you who use tall shields, how do you deal with the added stress on your arms and legs without sitting straight up like a GoldWing?
I run and Aeroflow, bar backs, foot pegs in lowered position, and a Russell saddle.

I have tried to use the standard screen, the standard bar supports and before the "master yoda" nazis chime in, it does not work for me.

I had a major neck injury in the 1980s ( I had to do a full panic stoppie in a Bradley Fighting Vehicle and the hatch latch broke and the hatch tried to close and hit me in the head, compressing the bones in my neck.) I can't ride in a leaned forward, chin up position for more than a few minutes before my arms go numb. Heck I can't even sit in front of the computer with my chin stuck out trying to get the bifocals in the proper position without the same effect.

So I do sit more upright that most on my RS and for me the aeroflow is about right.
Another reason I use the aeroflow is that the wife likes it and hates the wind splatter she gets with the stock screen.

I do agree the bike looks a lot better with the stock screen but I want to ride it and not look at it.

I do about 100 miles a day, 6 days a week commuting and what I can squeeze in on Sunday for fun.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 10:39 pm

I Believe In Short Windscreens

If I can post the picture that will demonstrate what I mean, it may help. All three bikes are using either aftermarket short screens (Speed Triple) or factory options (Triumph Tiger) or the Ztechnic short screen for the K1200rs. There are a zillion threads out there, some posted by me. Net-Net: Every one wants to go tall to get smooth air....I find better looking and better performing screens by going short. I"m 6 feet tall.

Oh, one more thing.......I like Black.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Triple K1200rs and 2006 Tiger (Small).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	9024  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode