Roadsmart Ridgeback - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Roadsmart Ridgeback

I've got almost 5000 on this set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. The rear is looking great... very even wear and plenty more life left. The front is a different story. The "dual compound" has left sort of a high spot in the middle. The right side is worn fairly normally (convex) but the left side is concave, sort of scooped out. The tread is down to 2/32 and the tire is pretty much shot. I've noticed lately that the bike is very hard to steer in the slow turns. It's like steering a wheelbarrow full of wet cement. It takes a lot of muscle to get it through a turn.

I'm wondering if I'm just now noticing something that's always been there, or if this tire is causing my crappy steering?

Anyone else have front tires that wear unevenly? Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 28th, 2008, 10:33 pm
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout
Anyone else have front tires that wear unevenly? Thoughts?
Yes, my bike does it to all tires I tried
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 12:59 pm

Garage
I could be wrong but the Dual compound is ONLY on the rear, the front is a single compound.

The wear is normal for the bike and is found regardless of tires.

I also went from Pilot Roads to the Roadsmart and, after four days on the Cherohala skyway, Deals Gap, and that area of the quad states... I can say that these tires are a HUGE step up from the Pilot Roads. I have not used the Pilot 2's though they may be just as comparable. Incidently, I went through several sets of PR's before going dual compound... I am a guy that finds what he likes and sticks with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Sep 29th, 2008, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilei
I could be wrong but the Dual compound is ONLY on the rear, the front is a single compound.
That was my understanding as well. The front tire has a center strip that is worn less than the sides and seems harder (fingernail test) than the sides. It sure smells like dual compound, but maybe not.

Some people report their front wearing out first, while a few others report their front outlasting the rear. I'd love to find a combo that wears out at the same time. I like to replace tires as a pair, but I'm too tight to throw away a tire with useful life left.

For what it's worth, I measured my tires again today. The rear began with 9/32" and is currently at 4/32". If 2/32" is "worn out", then the tire had 7/32" (9-2=7) of life, of which it has 2/32" remaining. This would put the rear tire right at 7000 miles life expectancy on my bike. I don't know whether to install a used front that I have in my garage (with 4/32" left), buy a new front, or buy 2 new tires. Dang.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 1st, 2008, 12:23 pm

Roadsmarts are Nice Tires

Quote:
I've got almost 5000 on this set of Dunlop Roadsmarts. The rear is looking great... very even wear and plenty more life left. The front is a different story.
4,155 miles and I found the same deal on my first set of Roadsmarts. Front like yours. Shot. Rear looking pretty nice with about another 1500 miles available of hard riding. They've been replaced with another set of Roadsmarts. Nice tire.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:23 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrouse
4,155 miles and I found the same deal on my first set of Roadsmarts. Front like yours. Shot. Rear looking pretty nice with about another 1500 miles available of hard riding. They've been replaced with another set of Roadsmarts. Nice tire.
Just curious why you didn't try something else this time? Have you already tried other tires and found these to be the best?

For a tire advertised as a long wearing tire with the dual compound and all, I think that 4155 miles (or 5000 miles, in my case) is a little short. I don't know if I can afford to change the tires with every oil change. In my case, these tires were gone in 60 days.

For those of you who have tried them all, which front tire lasts the longest for you?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 9:57 am
MIK

Quote:
For those of you who have tried them all, which front tire lasts the longest for you?
Not all yet, but a few. Here is the mileage info on all the tires I tried
http://www.mileagetracker.org/showBi...eseServices=10

Pirelli Diablo Strada worked the best for me so far. Handling and mileage wise.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 11:58 am

Quote:
Just curious why you didn't try something else this time? Have you already tried other tires and found these to be the best?
This year I've done 2 sets of BT021s, 1 set of Road2s, and now on 2nd set of Roadsmarts. For me, Roadsmarts have lasted the longest with the least amount of uneven wear and cupping. Previously did BT020s and regular Roads. Both lousy for me. Haven't tried the raved about Z6s but I'm adverse to the lack of tread in centerline rear. Call me goofy. K12RS eats front tires and the handling goes way off when they start going south. Of course the K12RS handling is off to begin with but I love the bike for durability, comfort on the slab, power, looks, and cruise control. Smitten and paying the tire price. Also tried Pilot Powers once and they were great, for about 2 weeks. Not compatible with my throttle technique.

Marc
Prescott AZ
2008 K1200S
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkrouse
This year I've done 2 sets of BT021s, 1 set of Road2s, and now on 2nd set of Roadsmarts. For me, Roadsmarts have lasted the longest with the least amount of uneven wear and cupping. Previously did BT020s and regular Roads. Both lousy for me.
This is great information. Thanks. I've been tempted to try the more expensive PR2, but maybe I should just stick with the 'smarts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIK
Pirelli Diablo Strada worked the best for me so far. Handling and mileage wise.
The chart is a little hard to read. How many miles did you get on a Strada front?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode