suburban type 2 barbacks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 4:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

suburban type 2 barbacks

i just ordered the type 2 barbacks for my '04 kgt. i have type I currently, and want more uprightness. will probably ebay the type I's. anyway.............the pics on suburban machinery site has the left wiring harness(lights, cruise control) moved to rear of triple-tree. how do i do that? also, i'll reroute the throttle cables the same way, but they look fairly simple. also, the kit comes with a longer front brake cable. anyone have any instructions on bleeding these abs servo brake thingys? thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:07 pm
Looking for better limits...

Okay...maybe you've read this already, and it doesn't help. "Master Yoda riding position".

Bend the hips, not the lower back. Bring your elbows into your ribs. Squeeze the tank with your knees. Balls of your feet on the pegs, and you can sort of tuck your heels into the foot-peg extensions for the passenger.

Honestly, it's good for 600-700 mile days. I'm 54, 280lbs. don't exercise (except when chasing bhaynnes) and 5'9. First thing I mentioned to the dealer when I got the bike was bar-backs, which were supposed to be available soon. Didn't take long, though. Long trips require a bit of conditioning, but that's normal. Couple of Harley riders have asked how I can ride like that for so long...and I ask them the same question. There's a group of the HOG chapter in Livermore that take 500-600 mile runs for a day that I go with. They don't ask anymore, they just figure it's a beamer thing, and (shock!) accept it.

Basically, give it time. Funny how some things work out.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 7:44 am

Smile Type II Barbacks

Bill, go with the type II's and don't look back. I had them installed by my dealer 2 weeks ago after riding with the type I's for 5000 miles and I'm quite happy. The Master Yoda riding position, while good for some, just didn't do it for me. I was still very uncomfortable and didn't think I would keep my GT too much longer. In fact, I had it up for sale a couple of months ago but without much interest, I decided to keep it through the winter and see if I could somehow get used to the riding position. The type II barbacks along with a peg lowering kit from Pirate have made the ride quite comfortable and I'll no doubt keep the bike.

A word of caution though, if you're not sure about fooling with the brake system, have a dealer install the barbacks and reroute the cables. You sure don't want a brake problem while out on the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 1:56 pm
"DELIVERS"

Cool Hey Razel...

When riding, can you look straight forward without bending your head back?

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 3:06 pm Thread Starter
Addict

thanks pete

same sentiment here, almost sold the bike over this. a new sargent seat has me half way to lovin this bike, i hope the barbacks give the other half. just called my buddy lee at daytona bmw, he wants 2 hrs to install @ $70per. which is more than fair. afterwarde, i'll sell the type I barbacks here on on the ebay for $100.........then i'll be gellin, like a felon.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:09 pm

Wink

[QUOTE=Razel]Bend the hips, not the lower back. Bring your elbows into your ribs. Squeeze the tank with your knees. Balls of your feet on the pegs, and you can sort of tuck your heels into the foot-peg extensions for the passenger.

QUOTE]
My balls are not by my feet, I guess that's why the Yoda Position doesn't work for me. I have barbacks on my RS. I am only half kidding, of course.

Ron
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 3:35 pm
Addict

I also have a GT and did not like the stock riding position. While tall at 6'1", I have short legs (30' inseam) so the Yoda riding position and me did not play well. With the Suburban II Barbacks and Pirate's Peg Lowering Kit combined with a Russell Saddle - I'm in heaven. Ten hour trips on the bike are a pleasure.

the bottom line is you have to make the bike fit you. When it does you have a winner.

Hanshi
2007 BMW K1200LT (black)
2004 BMW K1200GT (grey-green, sold)
Reading, Pa, USA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 10:59 pm
Noob

suburban barbacks

With the type II do you lose the wind protection for your hands?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2006, 2:01 am
"DELIVERS"

Thumbs up Bye-Bye Barbacks

You lose some hand protection with the type 1's so I would think you would lose even more wth the 2's.
I put on the type 1 after giving the stock setup a 3000 mile chance. Even the type 1 was a big adjustment for me since I come from a Harley with forward controls and backrest. After a year, being fully comfortable with the type 1, I decided to try the stock setup again. My theory was that the adjustment from type 1 to stock would be minor compared to the adjustment I already made. I was right, and the benefit is you recover the designed handling characteristics of the beast. I felt it right away. A year ago I wouldn't have believed it. Also, it really helps if you strengthen your abs and back during the adjustment.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2006, 6:49 am

Have to go with Razel on this one. When I first bought the bike (changed from a GS to the GT) it was very uncomfortable, being used to the upright position of the GS the lean forward position of the GT gave me pains in my hands and back. The cure were Wunderlich bar backs. They changed the bike completely, no more pains. This was wonderful for cruising around but the handling in aggressive curves had greatly deteriorated. The GS IMHO is the best cornering bike I know of. They have long been the best selling bike in Germany and dominate in the Alps because of their cornering ability. As long as the curves are really tight with lots of switchbacks not even the superbikes can overtake them. Of course as soon as the curves level a bit they can no longer compete due to the lack of power. For me the joy in biking is sailing through the curves. To make a long story short off came the bar backs, the handling and the joy were back again. It took me about a month to get used to Razels recommended riding position but now it is comfortable and feels naturel. It is also a lot easier to shift your weight in curves from a balanced position on the balls of your feet than from the arches. Thanks Razel!

05 K1200GT Titanium Silver Metallic
I'm living well above my means, but far below my standards.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode