Valentine 1 problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:05 pm Thread Starter

Valentine 1 problem

Hi guys...not sure if anyone else has run into this. I recently bought a V1 for my 03 zebra, mainly because it was already wired for one, however I find that when I brake the V1 resets itself just like when it's initially turned on. I guess there's a drop in power when the brake light comes on! The only thing I can think of that would effect the V1 is that I also added a flashing LED rear brake light. I beleive it already has a resistor built into the circuits but I'm not sure. Could it be a fading battery?

Would appreciate any help on this one.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:32 pm

Smile

Is your V1 attached directly to the battery? If it is, I'd say you need to replace the battery and maybe check the charging circuit (however, if the battery is low, I'd think you'd also be having trouble with your ABS lights flashing all the time). If its attached to some other electrical wire it needs to be removed and attached, with fuse, directly to the battery, both positive and negative leads.

The only problem I've ever had with my V1 was a direct result of living at the beach and working at the beach. The problem was corrosion on the leads of all the telephone connectors. I made a cleaner for the female connectors out of a standard size emory board and used a brass brush for the male connectors. Just make sure to remove the fuze prior to cleaning.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 7:39 pm
Addict

Sounds like the wiring may be faulty.
Check the wiring to be sure the connections Pos. and Neg. are good.
Put a volt meter on the Pos. wire to the V1 and read the volts, then step on the brake and see if it changes, lowers the voltage.
You may have to rewire to a different curcuit.

Bazra
aka:The Flash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Is this happening only when you applyl the brake while moving, or does it happen if you apply the brake while sitting at a standstill? Former could indicate a loose or dirty power connector, the RJ11 stuff the V1 uses tends to corrode quickly and needs cleaning on both the internal and external connector pins. If it happens while you're at a standstill then your suspicion sounds correct, you are dropping voltage. What circuit do you have the V1 wired into, or is it wired directly to battery?

GTRider
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2005, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

Remove body fairing

Well it looks like I'll have to pull the right fairing I guess. I've tried to figure out how it was wired, but no luck it's right under the instruments. I guess first try will be the battery connectors. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the input
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 8:01 am

I use the connector from V-1 that allows me to use my ear plugs to hear it while riding. I wired it to a circuit that is switched off / on that's under the rear seat area on the rightside. I than ran their phone cord type wire from the unit up to a V-1 in the front of the bike under the gas tank. The main connection under the seat is accessible and fused, haven't had a problem so far.
Sounds like you need to rewire yours to the running lites or some circuit that is uninterrupted.

Jerry

Jerry
K1200RS
Ducati 996
KLR 250
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:35 pm
Enthusiast

If you used the brake wire to tap into then that would be your problem. Try tapping into the tailight. The voltage doesn't change on it!

Jim
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:46 pm

And this is a new unit from the factory not one of the older units, right?

Ed A.
'02 K1200RS (Pacific Blue)
"God always finds ways to keep pilots humble." - anon.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 8:28 pm

V1 issue

My V1 is wired to the + wire for the little parking bulb that sits in the headlight housing.
It would reset the V1 whenever I accelerated away from a stop. Turns out there is a
metal band that grounds the high beam bulb and carries the spade connectors for all the
grounds in the headlight module. It had corroded, then gotten hot and melted the solder
and some of the plastic. You have to pull the headlight module to get to it though
which isnt that hard.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:01 pm
Rookie

My V1 did the same thing on my VFR when it was time for a new battery. It hasn't done it since I replaced the battery a couple months ago.

'09 Light Grey Metallic K1300S -Commuting and vacations
Used to be an OCRSRider, now I'm a VCSRider (Ventura County S Rider)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode