Valve job. What did you pay? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 5th, 2008, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Valve job. What did you pay?

I am trying to get an idea of what a valve adjustment (or replacement that is) for a K12RS would cost. I know that prices will vary depending on how off your valve clearances were, but I just want to get an idea of what you guys have paid. I need to start saving up for a tune-up.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2008, 1:22 am

Garage
I am not sure you need a valve job

I have a 2003 k1200rs with about 60k miles. I do not ride it much. Anyway, this is going to cause flames but the krs engine is basically like a 4 cylinder car engine and it does not really need to have its valves adjusted or even measured.

The engine uses a bucket with a specific shim and changing the valve bucket means removing he camshaft. You will be into big dollars.

Just ride the bike.

Howard

Motosport 2015 K1300S
Tricolor 2010 K1300S
Capri Blue 2003 K1200RS (SOLD)
Red 1994 k75 (SOLD)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2008, 3:01 am
Addict

..........have a 2003 k1200rs with about 60k miles. I do not ride it much. Anyway, this is going to cause flames but the krs engine is basically like a 4 cylinder car engine and it does not really need to have its valves adjusted or even measured.. .........

Well I have some leanings to that view but with provisos:

1. A new bike is more likely to need valve bucket re-adjustment as valves and head gasket settles in, so I would never do nothing from new.

2. Yes, you can be lucky and a few thou. out of spec here and there isn't going to be a big issue, but it can be on exhaust valves which run hotter and expand more (hence the larger clearances).

3. You might not like your K-bike rattling so much due to excessive valve clearance.

4. K-bike motors have wider running temperatures than cars with bigger better cooling.

Where I disagree, but it's not a 'flame', is the need to check clearances. This is a fairly simple no-cost operation of removing the left valve cover and even the rubber gasket can be re-used.

Once you check them you can decide whether to leave alone or go to the next step. At least you make the decision based on measurements and not blindness. You also have a starting point if you leave them alone to compare against a later check and make a new decision.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2008, 6:13 am
Strafist

The brick motors valves tend to tighten as they age. A tight valve causes the bike not to run optimally. A tight exhaust valve can burn that valve, really causing it to run like crap and end up being expensive.

It's not hard to adjust a brick's valves: http://www.gunsmoke.com/motorcycling...ves/index.html

I've done so many of them (14 bikes at last count) that I've gotten real quick at it and prolly have around 30 buckets in my kit at la casa.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2008, 9:52 pm
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmeiseles
the krs engine is basically like a 4 cylinder car engine and it does not really need to have its valves adjusted or even measured.
How many car engines are out there that have redline at 9K RPM? How many of those car engines don't need valve adjustement?

I adjusted valves on my kgt twice so far. At 12K, 1 cam follower (bucket) needed to be changed, at 24K - 2. I do enjoy WOT acceleration now and then, and I am not babying that throttle thing, though.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2008, 9:36 pm
Enthusiast

Price of valve adjustment

Worst case: Two hours of labor, sixteen buckets (very unlikely) at $20.69 each, a valve cover gasket at $50.74, and eleven valve cover grommets at $1.54.

I think the most valves I've seen needing adjustment was eight. Many times buckets can be shifted from one valve to another (this valve's too tight. This valve's too loose. This one's just right).
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2008, 10:03 pm
Strafist

I've rarely replaced a valve cover gasket and have NEVER replaced the valve cover grommets.

However, I have forgotten to tighten the inner, front bolt on the valve cover. That's good for a left leg/boot oil bath and really pisses off the guy it happens to.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2008, 11:57 pm
I'm riding

had the valves adjusted at 44kkm/25kmi - ont valve needed adjustment only. Paid about Eur370,-/USD 550 at that time. But for the complete service including oil and coolant change. In Munich, BMW Motorrad Centrum.

Take care!

'06 K1200GT Blue (sold)
'09 F800GS Grey
'07 F800ST Blue - wife's(sold)
'09 F650GS Blue - wife's
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:44 pm

Valve adj.

My 03 GT has 99.6K on her and the last time valves were adjusted were 24K
I have expressed also in the past these engines and with today's technology don't need constant adjustments.
The bike is like a dream to ride as it always has been.
Like my dad used to say leave the d___ hood closed and don't tinker with the heart unless you need to.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2008, 8:43 am
Addict

The factory engineers recommend checking the valves for a reason.You have a company thats pushing 100 years of experence and some of the best German engineers in the world coming up with a time table for checking the valves. Seems a bit of a gamble to not check and see.The price can vary a bunch as you dont know what it needs for parts untill you get it tore down.I would guess a normal price would be a couple hours shop time and a 100 bucks parts.So 250-350 seems like a wild ass guess.You could save a few bucks by taking the tupperware off yourself, and maybe saving a few scratches too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode