weep hole minimun oil drops??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 14th, 2008, 6:04 pm Thread Starter

weep hole minimun oil drops???

Im wondering if anyone who has drilled the weep hole and has not had significant oil come out, but has had a drop or 2 has ever tried adding some kind of seal restorer or engine medic kind of stuff to see if swelling the seal would work before a teardown. What would it hurt if a teardown is iminent later. A good friend has this dilema and is seeking advise. thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2008, 8:03 pm
Addict

Weep Hole

With all due respect, what the hell are you talking about?

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 9:48 am Thread Starter

more explanation

It seems that my friend has drilled a small hole in the intermediate housing on his k12rs and a few drops of oil came out. The concern is how much is explainable and cause/or not for concern. If the rear main seal is at fault and replacement is eminent, what would it hurt to try a chemical remedy before tearing down. Hope this addtl info helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:02 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoodbmw
It seems that my friend has drilled a small hole in the intermediate housing on his k12rs and a few drops of oil came out. The concern is how much is explainable and cause/or not for concern. If the rear main seal is at fault and replacement is eminent, what would it hurt to try a chemical remedy before tearing down. Hope this addtl info helps.
Yes, drilling a hole in the clutch housing (and the clutch slave location) was the rage over on the LT site. It's not mentioned much over here.

On reading this post, you say a few drops came out right after drilling the hole, but you don't say how many miles are on the bike?
I wouldn't over-engineer the thing. For now(a few K miles) just keep an eye on how much (a streaky-assed mess on the transmission) oil if any comes out and then worry about a fix.

ps. I really don't believe in a "mechanic-in-a-can".

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 19th, 2008, 10:04 am
Will ride for picts

Only downside I can see is that any other seals that are ok are now exposed to the same chemicals that cause the rear-main to re-seal. If I were going to plan on replacing every seal and gasket when I got in there to do the rear-main, then I might think about the conditioning products. Otherwise, it may cause other issues.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 22nd, 2008, 3:57 am
Addict

If I was buying a bike or had warranty running out, then oil from a weep hole might be a bigger issue for me. If I was planning a long 6K trip then same worries again.

Since a teardown is mega uncomfortable and expensive if done by a dealer, the only thing apart from the cosmetic embarrasment of an oil drip is the clutch may eventually slip after X miles. If the bike has over 30K on it then it would be worth changing the clutch disc at the same time anyway.

So I'd let the belly pan do its job and keep an eye on it for a worsening leak or clutch slip.

I don't think an easy fix for seals exists, although when I was testing a rear drive for leaks I discovered a leaking drive kept under pressure at 10psi overnight didn't leak next morning. I can't say how long that might last because I was changing seals anyway.

Seals lose their flexibility due to temperature cycles and oils so it didn't surprise me that under pressure they might re-form around a rotating shaft. Won't work for the main seals though as I don't think you could pressure seal the crank case.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode