11th hour ecu freakout - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:19 am Thread Starter

11th hour ecu freakout

The end of the ecu replacement is drawing near. I don't drive the bike everyday so it tends to be weekend to weekend. Sat was cold and it took 3 starts to get her going and then off I went after letting her warm up a bit.
Unfortunately for testing purposes, the weather has been nice, with nothing below 30 except for the cold Sat mentioned before.
This same problem occured back in the beginning of Oct when I spent cold weekend in Pa. and took 3 - 4 starts each morning to get her running.
I wish I had a few more cold days to experiment with the bike.
If I bring the bike to the dealer after 12/1 and I'm under warranty, will they still replace the ecu?
My bike was made on 05/04 so its 1 month after bmw recognised a problem and corrected it.
The dealers pitch is that its the date (04/04) and that they would have to check thre bike out.
I called bmw customer support and said to talk to the dealer so I'm going to bring the bike down today. I wonder if there really is a problem or that the bike is just quirky on cold days when I don't run it every day.
Or will they do whatever they can to not replace it?
Maybe if I ran the bike everyday it would fire up 1st time everytime.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 10:37 am
Addict

Hi John I had a minor cold start issue:it would start right up but would not move off right away,cold engine stall.I called my dealer and they did the replacement,no argument,no question.It doesn't seem that BMW is trying to avoid it...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:00 am
No bogey's twist wrist

Smile ecu

My 04 built 06/04 stats right up never needed another try even in 20's, I would have your ECU changed.

If it's got curves ride it.
life member NRA, GOA and Tennessee Firearms Owners Association.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:10 pm Thread Starter

I'm taking the bike to the dealer this afternoon and will have them look at it. They unfortunately don't sound real enthused about changing the ecu. But they are going to look at it. Best case scenario is they I get the chip. Next best case is they don't gum anything up and I am only inconvienienced by having to arrange for a ride home. Worse case is they mess with some setting. They seem like a smart bunch. The only thing I ever gripped to them about, and bmw for that matter was the 00' r1150rs with 36k that developed a surging problem about 2 k after its last tune up. They did everything and still it surged. They said it wasn't happening. That was one of the reasons for the buying the new K.

John
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 12:46 pm

I took my 2003 K1200GT into the dealer (BMW of North Houston) for its 12K service and a fresh set of Michelin Pilot Roads. I asked the Service Manager to check it for cold start problems - it started fine, but I had to manually diddle the throttle for 2-3 minutes before it would idle on its own.

When I picked up the bike, it had a new ECU in it under warranty. I was somewhat surprised since I'm the 2nd owner of the bike and (this being a new dealership - opened earlier in 2005) the bike wasn't purchased there.

Rusty
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 3:29 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jChevy04k1200rs
I'm taking the bike to the dealer this afternoon and will have them look at it. They unfortunately don't sound real enthused about changing the ecu. But they are going to look at it. Best case scenario is they I get the chip. Next best case is they don't gum anything up and I am only inconvienienced by having to arrange for a ride home. Worse case is they mess with some setting. They seem like a smart bunch. The only thing I ever gripped to them about, and bmw for that matter was the 00' r1150rs with 36k that developed a surging problem about 2 k after its last tune up. They did everything and still it surged. They said it wasn't happening. That was one of the reasons for the buying the new K.

John

This is a factory replacement.No cost to the dealer.They get paid to do it.There should not be an issue,in my experience.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 5:27 pm

Hey jgr451,

I noticed that you're from Canada and, although hard to tell these days, assume the wet coast translates to the west coast. Does your experience include having an ECU replaced? Just asking because I got a song and dance about how; its normal, the bike just needs a little tune-up, ECU replacements only apply to US bikes. If you did, what dealer did you use?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:21 pm

Quote:
The end of the ecu replacement is drawing near. I don't drive the bike everyday so it tends to be weekend to weekend. Sat was cold and it took 3 starts to get her going and then off I went after letting her warm up a bit.

John

John,

How did it go at the dealer? The ECU symptoms are engine temperature related, not ambient temperature. My RS would hesitate and stumble in 90 degree days when first started cold.

Ron
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Ron,
Droped the bike off 2 hours ago and its like; "we'll look at it". The guy who runs the service group was out so I'll hold my breath. I'm hoping they just do the swap as I"ve been a good customer. I looked at the foracast and there isn't any cold weather for another week and then I still don't see cold. Whats interesting here on the post's is that some members describe cold starts even in 90 deg. weather with stalls and bad starts. Others describe the problem only in "cold" weather which is my problem. When I think about it I could live with the bike having 3 or 4 starts in real cold weather. Hech my '00 r1150rs started like hell in real cold weather. Thank goodness I still have my '95 airhead that starts in any kind of weather as a backup. Anyway I'll keep u posted as it may take a few days for them to at best swap out the chip and or hang on to it to trouble shoot.

Thanks again for this board and all the info

John
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2005, 7:00 pm

Quote:
Ron,
Droped the bike off 2 hours ago and its like; "we'll look at it". The guy who runs the service group was out so I'll hold my breath. I'm hoping they just do the swap as I"ve been a good customer. I looked at the foracast and there isn't any cold weather for another week and then I still don't see cold. Whats interesting here on the post's is that some members describe cold starts even in 90 deg. weather with stalls and bad starts. Others describe the problem only in "cold" weather which is my problem. When I think about it I could live with the bike having 3 or 4 starts in real cold weather. Hech my '00 r1150rs started like hell in real cold weather. Thank goodness I still have my '95 airhead that starts in any kind of weather as a backup. Anyway I'll keep u posted as it may take a few days for them to at best swap out the chip and or hang on to it to trouble shoot.

Thanks again for this board and all the info

John
John,

They had to order the chip when they did mine, I guess it makes sence that it's not a stock item. My dealer looked at mine and agreed it needed the change.

Ron

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode