So I made a Superfund site today, what did you do? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2008, 7:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

So I made a Superfund site today, what did you do?

-- Or: “Why Jason is no longer welcome at the Dyess AFB auto skills shop”

So, first I wanted to introduce myself, my name is Jason and I am the new owner of a 2003 K1200GT with 12K...uh, make that almost 14K...miles.

My intro to the bike was a 1,000 mi “journey” in owner’s manual parlance from SD to Texas! (“!” added for effect) on my fourth day of ownership, conducted in one fell 16-hr blitz, terminating in the wee hours of the morning central time in Abilene. By the time I arrived, my defective neck [pinched nerve] was screaming, my a$$ was pure monkeybutt, I was soaked (did I mention the last 5 hours were ridden in a downpour), and I was pretty much wishing for death. I was setting the cruise on twisty 2-lane roads at night in the rain and removing my brake hand from the bars for comfort, not caring--perhaps wishing--that something like a gigantic Texas! Jackalope or other foul creature may run out in front of me thus terminating my ride 3-4 hours sooner than I was planning, which at the time sounded like a good deal. Maybe not the long distance tourer I had envisioned, at least not with those stock low bars and my own physical maladies. Such issues can be addressed though and like any good government operation, have money tossed at them with varying degrees of success.

But overall, I’m very pleased with the bike and have been enjoying learning the personality of this unique and quirky-yet-not-as-quirky-as-my-old-2002-GS-and-also-waaaaaaaaaaaaay-faster-but-easy-on-the-BRAKES!!!! motorcycle.

Today, though, with some prior study which would soon be proved deficient, I embarked on an engine oil/filter change and a transmission/FD oil change. I dutifully picked up all the right fluids [which shall remain nameless to preserve the good nature and childlike innocence of this thread] and although I had forgotten the new oil filter wrench I just bought in SD expressly for this purpose, as I wheeled over to the Dyess AFB auto skills center I was filled with confidence that this little morning task of mine would go well.

Once I had secured a workarea--which from this point on shall be referred to as Jason’s Carcinogenic Toxic Waste Sty(tm)--I set to work on removing the belly pan. It has been 4 years since I owned a bike which required any removal of plastic accoutrements in order to conduct the Ceremony of the Changing of the Oil, but despite this the process went relatively well. I probably unscrewed more than I needed to, what with that dazzling array of various kinds of screws (hex, Torx, and Phillips, oh my!) and for some time I rather brutishly yanked at her panties before noting that a little hidden screw was preventing them from coming down. Eventually though, she was sufficiently disrobed for the process to continue. Now it was time to unbolt that nifty little filter protector cover.

Now, let it be said that I am a man who appreciates irony. Or at least treachery. So during my pre-study of the Ceremony of the Changing of the Oil as it applies to flying brick K1200’s, when I read “some oil will come out” and saw the replacement cartridge-style! (“!” added for effect) oil filter--vice an element type such as those found on my VW TDI or F-350 diesel--I pictured in my head a few drops of oil may emerge once I removed the nifty little filter protector cover. Perhaps a drip or two that had collected from the filter leaking or other such nefarious event. I removed two of the hex bolts with no inkling of the trouble ahead. It was when I had the third bolt half out that the nifty little filter protector cover popped down, revealing itself not as a nifty little filter protector cover but as the petroleum equivalent of the Hoover Dam, and what I estimate to be 2,370 +/-26 [US] gals of oil came jettisoning out of the bottom of the bike at about a hundred gallons per second and at a nearly horizontal angle, as best my horrified and nearly oil-splattered eyes could judge. The giant wave of oil was little deterred by the presence of my poorly placed and clearly overwhelmed drip tray, and quickly began splooging (this is a technical term) all over the floor of Jason’s Carcinogenic Toxic Waste Sty(tm).

Quick reaction allowed me to actually get a few drips into the tray, but the 1.2M remaining drips were doomed to take residence in one of several of the fiber towels they hand out to boobs who think their vehicles have nifty little filter protector covers--since, with a cartridge-style! filter, WHY should there be any OIL in THERE?!? Once the filter had been removed I found myself staring incredulously at a big bright spot up in the engine, which after some deductive reasoning and waving of fingers I realized was the inside of the oil level sight glass. I implemented a mallet to convince the shop’s filter wrench that yes, it could indeed fit my filter, and installed the new filter. The not very aptly named oil drain plug was opened with little fanfare and significantly less oil flow, and by less I mean none.

Jason’s Carcinogenic Toxic Waste Sty(tm) now sufficiently dirtied, I next set about the task of changing the transmission oil. Luckily the auto skills shop’s tool inventory is much better than mine (so to speak) and I was able to borrow the 35.2-meter allen key necessary to open the transmission fluid drain plug. Which, let it be noted, is much more aptly named than the engine oil drain plug. I soon found that this drain hole’s strategic placement ensconced amongst the confines of the centerstand did not lend itself to easy placement of any drip tray known to man, or at least to the Dyess AFB auto skills center. Undeterred, I did some quick mental math, and by some I mean none, and concluded that the transmission funnel I was armed with should be sufficient in volume to hold all the oil that would be discharged, and even if it were not, I could use my rapidly sharpening oil-draining skills to siphon the oil into the drip tray--which was really more of a drip pan with ~4-inch high walls, the tops of which were co-altitude with the top of my transmission funnel.

This plan was executed with the same degree of success as the engine oil draining, which is to say no success whatsoever. I was left lying on my back adjacent to an even bigger yet more viscous oil puddle covering Jason’s Carcinogenic Toxic Waste Sty(tm), holding a transmission funnel full of oil--oil which by some bizarre compromise of the laws of physics refused to allow itself to be siphoned. I do believe that this time I actually got about 4% of the oil into the mostly empty drip tray. The FD oil change was conducted with relative smoothness and since nothing chaotic happened has no entertainment value and therefore no place in this posting. The respective fillings went equally and thankfully without incident.

All said and done, the cost of the Ceremony of the Changing of the Oil this morning was 2.5 hours, $7.50 in Jason’s Carcinogenic Toxic Waste Sty(tm) fees [known to the Dyess AFB auto skills center as not very aptly named “stall fees”], 6 shop rags, 8 oil spill blankets, and my preconceived notions of the purpose of a cartridge-style! oil filter.

My sincerest or at least 85-90%-sincere apologies for the lack of pictures for maximum entertainment effect, but I do not have a camera with me, and even if I did, I don’t fancy the idea of it being engorged with 20W-50 like everything else I touched this morning.

OLC!
Jason sends

'03 K1200GT Orient Blue "Jenna"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:15 pm
Rookie

Great story, you made me laugh. Thanks. I am preparing to change the oil for the first time in my 04GT, and will make sure to remove the drain plug before the oil filter cover. The fact that it has an o-ring made me suspicious that there would in fact be oil behind that cover.

2006 R1200GS - new to me May 2010
2004 K1200GT - KO by dump truck April 2010
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2008, 9:20 pm
no power in the 'verse can stop me

That was awesome !

tim-----still on the right side of the frostline

you can't stop the signal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:22 pm

oil change

hello, very funny story, as an old retired acft. crew chief, you must be a pilot, or an officer of some kind. hope you have better luck next time. thanks, for your story and what you do for our country. habujim,03 k1200gt
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 4:54 pm

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2008, 7:09 pm
Strafist

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:02 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04K12GT
Great story, you made me laugh. Thanks. I am preparing to change the oil for the first time in my 04GT, and will make sure to remove the drain plug before the oil filter cover. The fact that it has an o-ring made me suspicious that there would in fact be oil behind that cover.
I hope the process went better for you. Which should not be hard.

Funny thing: it wasn't for about two weeks after this incident that I realized the instructions do say to remove the drain plug first. I choose to blame this characteristic of mine (that being wanton disregarding of instructions) as the reason I didn't do better in college.

OLC!
Jason sends

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 9:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by habujim
hello, very funny story, as an old retired acft. crew chief, you must be a pilot, or an officer of some kind. hope you have better luck next time. thanks, for your story and what you do for our country. habujim,03 k1200gt
Luckily for the AF and for everyone who lives below aircraft flight paths, I am a pilot and not a maintainer. I would not be good at aircraft maintenance.

Thanks for your service!

OLC!
Jason sends

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:00 pm

funny

That was a good read and a prompt for me to just let the shop change the fluids when I take my RS in for the 6,000 service. My bike is white and orient blue and I really like this color blue. I would like to see a picture of your bike with the complete O.B. paint.
I did a brake fluid change the day after I bought my bike and the project was easy. Then I read and heard all kind of horror stories about wasting the system... and I got worried I was missing something. It has been about 1,000 miles since the brake fluid change so I assume I was lucky and just got it right. I don't mind being lucky I just want to know going in.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 2008, 10:31 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I've been meaning to get some decent pictures taken. The stumbling point has been that in order to take decent pictures, the bike needs to be clean. And it is never clean.

Mine actually has some ghost flames on the front leading edges of the bodywork--not stock (handiwork of previous owner). It is subtle and very cool.

OLC!
Jason sends

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode