Anybody ever replace the fairing "bumpers?" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Anybody ever replace the fairing "bumpers?"

I think BMW calls them windscreens or something, i'm referring to the rubber (or similar) thingies that are mounted on the sides of the fairing, right in front of where your kness would be.
My right one broke in two at the joint where it attaches to the pan under the motor.
If anyone has any experience with this I'd love to hear it.
Thanks,Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 4:34 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobent4
I think BMW calls them windscreens or something, i'm referring to the rubber (or similar) thingies that are mounted on the sides of the fairing, right in front of where your kness would be.
My right one broke in two at the joint where it attaches to the pan under the motor.
Thanks,Doug

Back when I owned my '04GT, I had some experience with them.
An Ohio BMW dealer's tech tore mine at the spot that you refer to. I don't believe the rookie "tech" knew that it was a one piece wind guard that spanned the 2 panels. Tore it when disassembling. Dealer bought me a new one , I installed it. Oh yeah, they forgot to install the turn signal bulbs/sockets into the nose piece when they reassembled. Oh yeah, and they didn't align the stud and grommet in the middle of the side panel when reassembling, Permanently dimpled the middle of the l/s side panel. No biggie, only a $700.00 part as I recall. Smoothed mine back into acceptable shape with a heat gun and some patience.

Sorry, got distracted. Blood pressure spiked.

Upper side panel has to be removed. Not hard to do. Buy a cheap power bit driver from Sears if you want to save time. They have one for $30.00 or so with torque setting and a built in light. Even comes with the right size torx as I recall. Double check that though.
Anyway, take off the side panel, lay it, on its face, on a blanket or rug etc., Remove the nuts that hold the wind guard on and replace with new wind guard. Threaded studs are molded into the back side of the wind guard. Guessing $100.00 maybe 150. Or, just leave it as is and buy some alcohol. If it's aligned properly, no one will know but you.

Dmilan
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 6:17 pm
"DELIVERS"

I'm sure there's a good rubber cement that you could use to repair it.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2008, 8:23 pm
Addict

Bunper Thingies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobent4
Thanks,Doug
Dony,
I have a 2002KRS and bought it used from my dealer. Part of my deal was they gave me those bumper thingies, but I had to put them on and here is my experience with them. They are a pain in the ass if they are attached. I purposely cut mine so they are independent from each other, top and bottom. This allows me to drop the lower fairing for oil and filter changes, they may have done you a favor. If you plan on doing your own oil service this will be very handy. I fought with these thingies for a while until I cound not take it any more and cut them. My life is much more simple now and many thing are no longer in danger during these oil service events.

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Jim S.
[/COLOR] * Everyone crashes. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2008, 3:57 am Thread Starter

Thanks guys I really appreciate it.
Well, this winter I'm going to learn how to remove and replace those freakin' panels !
I'm goin' in Doug

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode