Power Outlet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Power Outlet

I bought a mount for my radar detector and went to Radio Shack and bought a power outlet with fusable link. Have any of you wired an outlet to you K1200RS? I was thinking about wiring it direct to the battery but I would like it tied to the ignition switch so the powers goes off when I turn off the bike. I am a trained monkey when it comes to wiring and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel if one of you have already done this and you are willing to explain what you did.

Thank you in advance,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 4:16 pm

I am pretty similar in regards to ability to you, I estimate. i've used easternbeaver.com twice, once on a K12GT and now on a R12RT with great success to get a fused power source for things. there's quite a bit on his webpage (though in a somewhat haphazard fashion) - but, if you write, even prior to buying, he does respond and with thought. just a suggestion, and I've no affiliation with him.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNHOF
I bought a mount for my radar detector and went to Radio Shack and bought a power outlet with fusable link. Have any of you wired an outlet to you K1200RS? I was thinking about wiring it direct to the battery but I would like it tied to the ignition switch so the powers goes off when I turn off the bike. I am a trained monkey when it comes to wiring and I have no desire to reinvent the wheel if one of you have already done this and you are willing to explain what you did.

Thank you in advance,
John
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2008, 8:06 pm
MIK

Another vote for easternbeaver.com . I bought relay kit from this guys and the quality of the parts and wiring was superb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

Thank you

Thank you for the reference and if I had known about them before I bought the outlet I would have given the business to them. But I already have the parts and what I need is a little instruction on the best way to wire it so the power goes off with the ignition switch.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 4:02 pm
Addict

Use the tail light wire, or the parking light wire up front to power the relay coil which is always on when the lights are on. Most ride safe with lights on in daylight, so it should give you what you want.

Actually, if I go back and re-wind. A Radar detector or GPS unit takes hardly any power, so there's no reason why you can't wire it directly to the parking light through a fuse and forget the relay. One item should get past any CANBUS overload sensing, but if it doesn't just fit the relay. The relay is handy if you have other stuff you want to fit which all together might need more current.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2008, 6:29 pm

Wire to the fuse box

I just wire a Whistler Crusider detector on my K1200RS and it is hard wired to the fuse box. so it turns on when the ignition is on/off when the ingition is off.

Unfortunately, the detector turn out to be defective and I have to take the whole thing out again and return to the vendor for a refund

plastics
99 K1200RS silver/blue

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode