Ride on Tire Sealant

Has anyone tried ride on tire sealant?

http://www.ride-on.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 4:04 pm
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

I've been using it for about 60,000 miles. I don't know if it's ever saved me, but I like the piece of mind it provides.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 6:19 pm

I use Slime - never even heard of RideOn until you posted.

I've had good experiences with tiresealant stuff - It generally stops slow leaks and gives you a chance to find you have run over a nail at a 'safe' location, generally speaking.

Where do you buy RideOn? Is it better than Slime?

I just posted pretty much this same question in the tire forum just a couple days ago and from the lack of response I assumed that I was some sort of reject enduro rider:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

You can buy ride on on the web site thaqt I posted. I have heard that it is easy to clean with just water. I plan to purchase it soon since I need new tires
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 6:49 pm

Hmmm. I think I might try some of that in my tire before I head for Texas next year.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:30 pm

Check this out:

http://www.ultrasealuk.biz/pages/testimonials.htm#BMW

A BMW guy that is pretty much singing the praises of tire sealant.

Maybe I should upgrade from Slime to one of these high-tech sealants for my next set of tires.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 9:03 am
Veteran

Price???

Looked at both products discussed above. The Ultra Seal is 49.50 + SH and is 1 gal which should do 8.5 rear tires.
The other is 30.00 for 3 8oz bottles = way more when you figure one bottle for a rear tire.
Figuring that they know each other and compete my guess is that they work about on the same principle. However, that one article discusses that fact that most all formulas separate at prolonged speed and then the question arises, will the other hold up to speed? It is marketed for motorcycle. Do we believe it will?

I have not used either. I have used Slim in a trailer and the bottle stated not to use it in the front tires because it will affect balance??? I am sure I read that on the bottle when I was considering using it in the car tires
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:02 am

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeshawn
I use Slime - never even heard of RideOn until you posted.

I've had good experiences with tiresealant stuff - It generally stops slow leaks and gives you a chance to find you have run over a nail at a 'safe' location, generally speaking.

Where do you buy RideOn? Is it better than Slime?

I just posted pretty much this same question in the tire forum just a couple days ago and from the lack of response I assumed that I was some sort of reject enduro rider:

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1489
I pulled into a gas station with a tire that I had re-inflated with slime. This was on an auto. The mechanic was swearing like a ships captain and charged me extra because of the slime.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 3:09 pm

Quote:
I pulled into a gas station ...
Sounds successful to me. I'm not a great rider and I'm especially poor at handling a motorcycle at high speed with a flat tire - I've even got the scars to prove it. I'm not that concerned with how easily Slime comes off to allow a vulcanized patch - either the hole is plugged by the tire sealant and the tire runs and wears fine - or you replace the tire. I mostly would consider it a success if it holds air long enough for me to detect that I have an issue and get out of traffic. I check my tire pressure all the time anyway, so if it will just hold enough pressure to keep the tire on the rim and the bike semi-controllable until I can tell I have a problem and stop, or until I stop and check my tires anyway, I'd figure it was ten bucks well spent. If one of these newer formulations work even better at plugging holes than Slime - I'll switch.

I don't know if that British Fishwick guy had any real information or not about the Slime separating at high speeds and then not working - and I personally have never been chewed out for using the stuff although I am blest by being pretty hard to insult.

Were you using their "Spair" kit to fix a flat? Was it still bubbling when you hit the station or had it managed to seal the hole? How far did it get you? With a car, I've gone 60-70 miles with tires that were done-for. If the hole was small enough for it to plug with Slime and the belts didn't seem to be damaged, I would have just filled the car tire up with air, driven it ten miles - rechecked pressure - refilled - and repeated until it stopped losing air or until I got home.

As for the balance issue that seems to concern most people. I think the balance is not much of an issue with sealants, and I'm probably a worst case user for application. I go heavy on the rear at about 20oz (use most of a 22oz car bottle) and light on the front at about 8oz (half a 16oz bottle). That's a low-speed recommended dose on the rear and a high speed recommended dose on the front. With my dose in my tires, and with my bike stored inside overnight (reasonably warm) I can feel something only for the first couple miles. If I leave the bike outside and it gets freezing, or if I don't ride for a week, I can feel something until I hit the freeway about 14 miles away. (my commute is 80 miles each way and the first section is on a highway through town at speeds from 0 to 60). The vibration is not bad - just barely detectable over the medium-low quality paving in this area... which I would say is about average-bad. Oregon DOT isn't corrupt like NY/NJ, but they aren't very competent either... After that, it's undetectable.

The Slime people say:

1) Motorcycle tires are manufactured to very high specifications and are true to round. Our test results prove that adding rotating mass such as SLiME has limited or no affect on balance

2) You could simply install sealant in the rear tire. Although we recommend 8 ounces per tire, the rear tire is quite a bit larger and wider and can be treated with slightly more product; 10 to 12 ounces. Most flats occur in the rear tire. Generally, the front tire sets up the puncturing object and the back tire picks it up.

3) If you would prefer treating both tires, installing no more than 6 ounces in the front and between 8 - 12 ounces in the rear (depending on tire size/width) will provide flat protection and reduce balance related issues.

So I'm way over their recommended dose which seems to be limited to minimize balance related issues.

This is what the Slime people posted about balance and performance on motorcycle tires which is pretty impressive - they say the stuff worked to 150mph with a 1/4" hole:

http://www.slime.com/pdf/product_testing_sheet_2003.pdf

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode