Advice for Noob - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Advice for Noob

I have ridden GS's for several years; currently an 02 1150GS, and like it a lot. I've been tempted recently by an '03 KGT. (The lure of the Dark Side). Any of you guys moved from a GS to an R or GT; have you been more/less happy? My GS buddies tell me I'll regret it. I owned a K75 for awhile and liked it, but went back to GS's. Are there any issues common to '03 GT's that I should check?
Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:01 am

do you like the dirt?

I have heard from people that switched they miss the versatility of the enduro's. I personally don't care much for the off-rode stuff. Get of the GT and don't turn back, the scenery might be a blur while your head is turned. You will notice that your ergo's will be more forward, which might take some time to adjust your riding style. Remember the mighty K12RS/GT is a SPORT touring bike.

As for maintainance issues to be aware about for this bike. Check to see if the ECU is not effected by the service bulletin, there was a bad batch, which caused engine starting issues. I fairly confident this only effected the '04 model, but I could be mistaken. You will probably want to change out the fuel line disconnects to a metal version. The cheap plastic ones seem to brake after a couple years. Other than this, the GT is your standard beemer, well almost - it is the best beemer produced!

ONON-
Mark
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 11:08 am
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon44
My GS buddies tell me I'll regret it.
Of course they did. If you liked the K75, you'll love the GT. I'd buy a GS, but I already own an underpowered twin. No law against owning both. Tap into the power of the "Dark Side". MuuuHaHaHaHaHa!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 1:09 pm

have both

I think you'll find several people here who have both. They can really tell you the diff
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:29 pm

I did exactly what you are contemplating back in April of this year. I had owned a 2002 R1150GS (the best year they were made, btw) and moved 'up' to a 2004 K1200GT. Now, keep in mind, like prolly 90% of GS owners, I never took my GS off-road on any more than gravel backroads, that being said my impressions of one bike to the next are:

* The KGT takes more effort to ride.. steering at speed esp. takes a bit of effort when compared to the 'power-steering-like' feel of the GS.
* The K-bike motor ROCKS!

* The KGT will always feel heavier underway than the GS did.
* You will get used to the change in ergonomics pretty quickly, at least I did.
* The K-bike motor really ROCKS!

* The GS has more between fill-ups range than the KGT.
* Passenger accomodations are way better on the KGT, esp. w/ a backrest installed.
* The K-bike motor really, really ROCKS!

* The GS is easier to maintain by yourself in your garage (less plastic, less complicated)
* The KGT needs less maintainence overall (no TB balancing, no surging issues, etc)
* Did I mention that the K-bike motor really ROCKS?!!

Seriously, though if your type of riding is on a mix of open backroads, with sweeping corners and connecting straightaways, and fast four-lane transits where you need to be able to simply dominate surrounding traffic, then the K is for you. If you prefer tight, super-twisty chicanes and always keep it under 80 or so, then I'd say you ought to stick with the GS... Of course, you could always own both!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Nov 30th, 2005, 7:31 pm
Addict

Ecu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathogen7
Check to see if the ECU is not effected by the service bulletin, there was a bad batch, which caused engine starting issues. I fairly confident this only effected the '04 model, but I could be mistaken.
Actually, the 03's were affected moreso than the 04's. Regrardless, do a quick search in the old forums for the ECU notice and gobs of info regarding this.....

alow

2003 BMW K1200GT (Orient Blue) (Fast)
1982 Honda MB5 (Not So Fast)
IBA #22048

"This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat."
- Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:52 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorradnik

* The GS is easier to maintain by yourself in your garage (less plastic, less complicated)
* The KGT needs less maintainence overall (no TB balancing, no surging issues, etc)
I'm going to go way out on a limb here and surmise that you really like the K motor.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdon44
I have ridden GS's for several years; currently an 02 1150GS, and like it a lot. I've been tempted recently by an '03 KGT. (The lure of the Dark Side). Any of you guys moved from a GS to an R or GT; have you been more/less happy? My GS buddies tell me I'll regret it. I owned a K75 for awhile and liked it, but went back to GS's. Are there any issues common to '03 GT's that I should check?
Thanks for any advice.
You definetely would not regret owning the KGT.... the motor rocks.. . Though were talking about two totally different bikes here. The K feels a bit heavier, well handling, but the GS a bit more intimidating with its higher center of gravity. Wonderful horses on the K....Smoooooth. " the motor rocks"..thanks motorradnik!

The K bike makes you want to ride fast. Bike rides like on rails.... so becareful! I'm not your financial advisor, but you need to have both!

'04 K1200RS- sold
'06 R1150GS Adventure ( Final Edition ) ( Still in Crate) 4-sale
'04 Honda RC51 ( still in the crate!) 4 sale
'08 BMW HP2 Sport #43 (awsome)
'09 BMW HP2 Sport w/ABS #77 ( still in crate)
'10 Harley Davidson CVO Street Glide
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Good information; many thanks.

If you have the VIN # , can you get the service history, etc. from BMW, for a bike you don't yet own?
thank you all for sharing you experiences. It is good to hear the viewpoints of people who have lived with both. You just can't find out all that stuff from a test ride.
One other question, for speculation mostly; why have more of the Iron Butt folks gone to R bikes rather than K bikes? It seems like the K should be better for that sort of long endurance riding. What do you think?That last question may be in the wrong forum.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 2:20 pm

Get em both

(with apoligies to motoradnic)

Of course, you could always own both!
My first bike was a 1995 R11GS and I began lusting for a bit more power for my highway excursions. I used my GS in town and a bit off-road on gravel backroads and short highway hops. I looked at the R1150 GS and RT but there was just not enough difference to make the change, then... I test rode a KRS and it was all over with. Bought the KRS (kept the GS for in town) and have been all over with it! Last year I took the plunge and sold the R11 and bought an R12GS, It kinda closed the gap performancewise a bit and now I find myself making the occasional roadtrip on the GS but the KRS is still the long distance preference.

* The KRS takes more effort to ride.. steering at slow speed in town takes a bit more effort when compared to the 'power-steering-like' feel of the GS.
* The K-bike motor ROCKS!

* The KRS will always feel heavier underway than the GS did.
* You will get used to the change in ergonomics pretty quickly, at least I did.
* The K-bike motor really ROCKS!

* The GS has about the same fuel mileage range as the KRS.
* Passenger accomodations are way better on the GS, they don't ride up on your back as much.
* The K-bike motor really, really ROCKS!

If your type of riding is on a mix of open roads, with sweeping corners and connecting straightaways, and fast four-lane interstate where you need to be able to simply dominate surrounding traffic, then the K is for you.
I'd say you ought to keep the GS if you also like tight, super-twisty two lane mountain roads and usually keep it under 80 or so...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode