Alternatives to bar mounted mirrors? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 1st, 2005, 8:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Alternatives to bar mounted mirrors?

I have the stock RS mirrors on my 04 K12RS. I'm not a huge person, but the inside 1/3 of the mirror is my shoulders if I want to see less than a 100 feet behind me. Also, they blur beyond usefulness at about 80 mph.

I've seen a set of fairing mounted mirrors from Verholen (MV Motorrad) that see like they would fit the bill. I've also seen some aluminum ones from Wunderlich. I seem to recall fairing mounted mirrors from one or more of the R-bikes could be used.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to these fun house mirrors?

Thanks,
Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 2:11 am
Addict

I once wondered about fairing mounts, but gave up the idea the first time I took off the plastics because I thought vibration might be too severe.

I'm now thinking a rear mount camera and flat panel display for better rear view. Needs to be thought through though with image stab., finger zoom. and weatherproof.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 4:12 am

Cool Mirrors Verholen

Verholen makes a set of fairing mounted mirrors that have extra bracing behind the fairing. They are just like the mirrors on the R1150 S. They send a template for drilling the holes, and are not to bad to install. Just make sure when you order them you tell them you want directions in English, unless of course, you speak German. There were several pictures posted on the old site, and I'm sure someone can post a picture of theirs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 5:32 am

I have the MV Motorad Mirrors on my GT. Great upgrade. I was also concerned about vibration and potential damage to the fairing. The only time there is any vibration is when you are stopped at idle. As soon as the bike is moving the vibration stops. The mount is reinforced with a lot of aluminum. It's a heavy - duty well engineered/fabricated add on. The thought of really drilling holes in my bike was almost a non-starter for me here.... However, I must say that they look great. There is no vibration at speed. I am confident that the add-on will no cause damage to my bike. Plus... The view back is excellent. No blind spots at all. Field of vision in each mirror has at least doubled. I am glad I put these on.
Good luck.
MG
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:46 am

another solution ???

I saw this review a few weeks ago...while I'm fine with the field of view to the rear on my GT, I have struggled with this issue in the past on other (lesser) machines :-) .Check this out...the concept is interesting...

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/reevu/
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 1:52 pm

Allan, if you want to change your mirrors then you'll change them and that's great. But I've gotta wonder if something else is amiss. I'm not slim (6-2, XL jacket) but never had a problem with the rearview, or vibration for that matter, on an 03-RS. In fact I often considered them the best mirrors on the market (YMMV). Ducati have to have the worst. Just surprised at your description.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:02 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I have the stock RS mirrors on my 04 K12RS. I'm not a huge person, but the inside 1/3 of the mirror is my shoulders if I want to see less than a 100 feet behind me. Also, they blur beyond usefulness at about 80 mph.

I've seen a set of fairing mounted mirrors from Verholen (MV Motorrad) that see like they would fit the bill. I've also seen some aluminum ones from Wunderlich. I seem to recall fairing mounted mirrors from one or more of the R-bikes could be used.

Does anyone have any experience with alternatives to these fun house mirrors?

Thanks,
Allan

I had fairing mounted mirrors on my FJ 1200 and when I bought the K12RS I felt blinded. Sticking them out on the fairing gives a much better field of view...If you use a cover it presents some problems.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 10:16 am
RRG

I have Verholen mirrors on my 98' KRS. I love them. The difference for me is that they are in my field of vision while riding and looking up the road. The stock mirrors forced me to slightly turn my head to see them. The chin of my helmet blocked the mirrors. The field of view with the Verholen mirrors is slightly better than stock(round)mirrors. There was no vibration problem with my old mirrors, and the Verholens are smooth and clear once above idle.
Someone also makes replacement glass/mirrors that are slightly convex. This gives a broader rear view. Do not remember the name or source, but they are available.

RRG
98' Red Checkered
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Thumbs up Fairing mounted mirrors

I've got the Verholen's on my '04 RS. I love the end result, but the included brackets didn't fit properly (yes, I used the template to drill the holes). After a few hours of swearing and dremel tooling the brackets, it worked. I've heard others had no issues.

I absolutely hate bar mounted mirrors. I feel they are unsafe, as one must turn their head to look behind. Fairing mounted mirrors only require quick eye movements. Why BMW put bar mounts on a $17k bike I'll never understand.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 6th, 2005, 1:40 pm

Richard,

See Multivex Mirrors for the stick-ons you were talking about.

Randy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode