Bluetooth cellphone headsets in helmets? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:43 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Bluetooth cellphone headsets in helmets?

Anyone have any experience with this? I know, I should just buy an Autocomm, but I have been toying with the idea of buying a Blackberry (or something similar) with telephone/bluetooth technology, and then using some sort of wireless headset under my helmet which I could use elsewhere also.

Or even without bluetooth, a wired headset to the cellphone, if I could get one with software which would allow a setting to automatically answer calls and then automatically hang up when the other caller hung up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:29 pm

BMW has a bluetooth compatable helmet that is sold everywhere but the US - I believe the helmet is not DOT certified (although it meets all European certifications). Currently, the BMW helmet with bluetooth is only available on the flip up (it is called the System 5). A non-flip up helmet (Sport Integeral) is not available with bluetooth - yet - it should be available sometime in 06. I have a name/ email address of a gentleman in Germany who works at a BMW motorcycle dealership who will accommodate the purchase and shipping of the System 5 to the states. Although it looks like a slick set-up, the cost is high - $450 euro for the helmet plus $350 euro for the bluetooth kit plus $120 euro for the installation (not sure why they charge extra to install their own kit?!). If you want his contact information, just send me a PM.

On that note, I am sure other manufacturers will join the parade and provide bluetooth compatability in helmets and I would expect a corresponding reduction in prices as they introduce these products. You can see the BMW helmets on any BMW Motorad site that is outside the US - I would check out the UK site for information.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 1:15 pm

Bluetooth

Check this out , let me know what you think
http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model...EB90073EF6755k..
http://radio.weblogs.com/0105910/2004/09/16.html#a969

Last edited by melloco; Dec 2nd, 2005 at 1:28 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 3:21 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Cardo headset

I like the look of the Cardo headset. Thanks for finding it for me. I think I'll look into that one. It looks like just what I was talking about. The helmet, on the other hand, is a dynamite concept but has the look of something you would buy at Wal-Mart for $49.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 8:15 pm
dec

Exclamation

Chatterbox is supposed to be coming out with a bluetooth compatible set this year (better hurry huh?). I have the TREO 650 (BT Comp) and have put the bluetooth headset on with my helmet a time or two, but not sure that I really want to talk to anyone that bad. The Chatterbox FRSX2 has input that I can hardwire talk through the helmet system, but the quality is not the best. The TREO has build in MP3 so from time to time, I'm listening to tunes and receive a call (non BT). . . when this happens, I tell the caller I'm going to pull over and give them a call back. I am not anti-driving and talking on cell (cage), but when I'm on the bike I don't want any division of attention.

If interested in Chatterbox BT setup, just google it . . . that way you can have your choice of helmet and the ability to talk.

dc in KC
IBA#24390
'02 K12RSa
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 10:54 am Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Riding and phoning

I'm with ya, DC, I don't really want to talk to someone on the phone when I'm riding either. But the reality of my occupation is that I am wedded to a cellphone, and I'm supposed to answer it 24/7. If I'm on my bike and feel the vibration in my pocket from my cell phone, I've got to find a safe place to stop, pull off my gloves, pull off my helmet, fish my cell phone out of my pocket, retrieve the voicemail and deal with the call.

Maybe I'm looking for an easy solution in the wrong place, when the easiest solution is just to go buy the damn Autocomm and put their hardware in my helmet.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 12:01 pm

Chuck, It might be safer to pull over and take the call then. Latest studies show that hands free cell phones don't improve the safety record of drivers. I say that because it seems like every time I see a driver do something really stupid they are on a cell phone. Saying that, I think that the wireless technology is right around the corner. I should say cheaper technology. I would love to get rid of the wires to my satalite radio. Don
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

What do you guys think about THIS...

http://www.clearercom.com/index.htm

I like this one. This is wired... plugs right in to my Motorola cell phone, but the only part that fits under the helmet is the earbud. With a throat mike, I'm thinking voice clarity would be good.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:31 pm

No Wires

Hi guys,
I think this system has to many wires, It will take too much time to get it on or of from your body.
bluetooth is the best ...
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 5:49 pm Thread Starter
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Wires

I hear you about the wires, but if I bought an Autocomm, it would be the same thing only more. I would like to go Bluetooth, but I'm thinking that this is a cheaper alternative.

I bought one online, so I'll let you know how it comes out. Should be here in a week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode