Winter Projects With Pics - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2009, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Winter Projects With Pics

I posted this thread over on i-bmw, but I thought I'd post it here too in case y'all don't visit both places:

I get a lot of great ideas from forums like these, so I guess I'll pay it forward.

Let's start with the windshield. For me, the author of The Essential Guide To Motorcycle Travel summed it up best when he said: "When you're riding at typical highway speeds, you want the air blowing off the top of the windscreen to hit you in one of two places: the middle portion of your chest or over the top of your helmet."

This has been my experience. I tried them all (mostly)... The Aeroflow was quiet and still but it is reminiscant of a GoldWing. It didn't work for me. The "comfort" shield is a buffeting nightmare unless you keep it up or lay on the tank, the stock shield works fine, the stock shield with a Laminar Lip provides smooth air bit it's LOUD. I wanted a short Ztechnik tinted screen, but I'm opposed to the $180 price tag. I bought a cheap used stock screen and buzzed it off with a dremel cutoff wheel (more like melted it off), then to the drum sander, then to the wet/dry paper in various grits. The air flow on this shield is a little lower than stock, but it looks better IMO.

I had my eye on a set of those Wunderlich bar-end mirrors (from BMW of Santa Cruz) that someone else on this site had on their K1200R, but then someone else mentioned that the mirror heads could be sourced from Mirrycle.com for $6 each. My friend bought the Wunderlichs for his K1200S for about $100 shipped, and I bought mine for $15 shipped. Sure enough, the mirror heads are identical. I made the brackets from scrap aluminum angle. I used a Harley mirror spacer to keep the mount from touching the Throttlemeister, so I still have full use of the throttle lock. I wasn't expecting the mirrors to work as well as stock (as far as visibility), but I was wrong. They work as well if not better.

The seat is a Corbin with piping to match the silver powertrain. I bought it used. I've owned a few Corbins over the years, and have had mixed results with fit and comfort. This seat is the cat's pajamas. It fits better than the stocker in both ways (the bike and the butt). I was concerned about giving up the "trunk" space that you get with the stocker or the Sargent, but this seat has a "cutout" where the trunk would be. I still was able to fit all my junk under the seat, including: electric air compressor, jumper cables, tire plug kit, digital multimeter, spare wire, electrical tape, vise grips, zip ties, and other odds and ends.

The tail pack is a Ztechnik ordered from my local authorized BMW Dealer. The $129 price tag is a little spendy for the space you get, but there is not another tail pack on the market (at least that I could find) that has the looks of this one. The pack comes with rubber coated hooks to attach to the seat, with cinch buckles inside the pack. The Corbin fits too snugly to use the hooks, so I ran a piece of 1" nylon strap under the seat instead. It looks cleaner this way anyway.

Well, there you have it. My winter projects... so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2009, 3:19 pm

I think that's a beautiful bike. Love the color scheme. I bet she's a real head turner, huh? Kinda like the Cougar of the bike world

2007 K1200R Sport
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2009, 2:02 pm
Enthusiast

I love the yellow with the checker scheme.
I also have bar-end mirrors and sing their praises. My visibility is much better than with the stock mirrors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 4:04 am
Enthusiast

Hey Trout, I saw that on the I-BMW site and drooled... Best looking bike I have seen in quite some time, if not ever!!! If I wasn't more touring oriented I would consider a bike like THAT! It's an eye popper for sure.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2009, 11:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I've received a few comments that would imply that the bike is more style than function. I will admit that I have pushed it toward the "sport" side of sport/touring, but this is a touring bike. Touring is all I do. I guess it's all a matter of preference. I've been all the way down the other road (no pun intended): tall Aeroflow windshield, bar-backs, lowered pegs, etc. In fact I went there two or three times because I was convinced that it should be more comfortable that way. For me, this is the best all-day-long setup for touring. No, I don't have hard bags or a trunk, but the RS bags are overrated. The lefty has very little space, they "jiggle" when they are fastened, and they don't look very good (IMO). I can go for a week with a smallish dry bag, the tail pack, and sometimes a tank bag. The only thing I really miss about the more traditional touring configuration is less bug juice on my visor
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 21st, 2009, 7:51 pm

You truly get better vision from the bar ends? Love the way they look. Do they tangle with anything out that far? I already told on IBMW that that is the sharpest bike I have seen in a long time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:07 am
Rookie

Can you post a pic of your underseat gear? I have the same bike (different color) and I'm having a hard time visualizing how you fit all that stuff under the seat.

Sharp ride.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 12:16 pm
Noob

The mods look fantastic. Where did you source the bar ends? How do they attach? I've never thought the handlebar vibes were all that bad, but do the bar ends make it feel even smoother?

If you're afraid; don't do it. If you do it; don't be afraid. -Mongolian axiom
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcord
You truly get better vision from the bar ends? Love the way they look. Do they tangle with anything out that far? I already told on IBMW that that is the sharpest bike I have seen in a long time.
Yes, I do. Well, maybe not better, but just as good for sure. I just returned from 4 days in Death Valley, Mojave Desert, etc. and they worked perfectly. They do not tangle on anything. I would not go back to the stock mirrors for better vision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike
Can you post a pic of your underseat gear? I have the same bike (different color) and I'm having a hard time visualizing how you fit all that stuff under the seat.

Sharp ride.
Please standby... I need to get things put away from the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineK
The mods look fantastic. Where did you source the bar ends? How do they attach? I've never thought the handlebar vibes were all that bad, but do the bar ends make it feel even smoother?
The bar-ends are Throttlemeister's. They were on my bike when I bought it. I am able to still use the throttle lock feature with the mirrors installed. I came from a pair of Harleys, then a BMW R bike, so these handlebars on the K bike do not vibrate at all, comparatively speaking. I can see my friends on their bikes in the mirrors clearly for several hundred yards. I am not used to mirrors this clear and stable. It's a nice change.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 7:31 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike

Sharp ride.
The pic got shrunk a little and it's hard to read the text. The full size version is here:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/d...t/DSCN1233.jpg

Here you go:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode