Noob question -- Wanting a '03/'04 K12GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:49 pm Thread Starter

Noob question -- Wanting a '03/'04 K12GT

Currently looking to purchase an '03 or '04 K12GT this winter.

I'm a little concerned with possible maintenance costs, specifically with the servo/ABS
system. I have read what might be just a lot of bad internet hype over at advrider.com about the '02-'04 GS servo/abs brakes. I assume this is the same brake system used on the GT? Anyway other than the reported ECU issues on the GT, are the ABS/servos a concern? final drives an issue? etc ... Thanks in advance...Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ritt
Currently looking to purchase an '03 or '04 K12GT this winter.

I'm a little concerned with possible maintenance costs, specifically with the servo/ABS
system. I have read what might be just a lot of bad internet hype over at advrider.com about the '02-'04 GS servo/abs brakes. I assume this is the same brake system used on the GT? Anyway other than the reported ECU issues on the GT, are the ABS/servos a concern? final drives an issue? etc ... Thanks in advance...Tom
Any of those things can be an issue but aren't for most folks.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 4:16 pm
Veteran

You are correct; it is internet hype. Get the bike. My 04 KRS is great.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 6:56 pm

Talking ABS system...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allikanbe1
You are correct; it is internet hype. Get the bike. My 04 KRS is great.
I assume you are referring to the brake problems that occured on some models. If it is the same thing I read about, YOU HAD TO USE REPEATEDLY THE BRAKES IN A "HARD STOP" SITUATION. Like on a track. Excessive braking, numerous times would incite the system failure. Don't know about you, but I don't use the brakes much, just throttle, most of the time, excessive throttle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:13 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ritt
… I'm a little concerned with possible maintenance costs, specifically with the servo/ABS system…
On my second K12RS and no MAJOR problems w/ either to date. The proscribed services can be costly, unless you commit to doing most of it yourself, leaving brake bleed/flush -Moditec- valve adjustments to the dealer.

Thing is how long you gonna keep her ? Three years, four maybe ? Longer (meaning waaaaaaay past the factory warranty, then purchase an Extended Warranty policy. Your first use of it (should the ABS/SERVO fail) will mean you've saved several THOUSAND dollars. Keep in mind, the failure of the servo is likely going to closely connected to how fastidious you are/have been w/ fluid changes. YMMV.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 8:33 pm

I haven't had any issues, but then the bike only has 7500 kliks on it. I love the ABS brakes. Much better then the brakes on my old VFR. I'm confident that in an emergency situation they will slow me down very quickly without locking up the tires.

A BMW bulletin *was* issued stating that "the ABS could be temporarily disabled after a specific set of circumstances involving aggressive brake demonstrations or aggressive rider training." In another paragraph they stated that these circumstances are "not known to occur under normal riding conditions."

One thing I've read about more then once in different bike mags is the fact the bike only has residual braking when the engine is off which might cause a problem when moving the bike around the garage or in a similar environment. Talk about nitpicking. I've pushed my bike around the garage and different parking lots numerous times and never had any problem whatsoever. I seldom need to apply the brakes when I'm pushing the bike, it just stops on it's own when I quit pushing due to some unseen force, gravity I think it's called. When I have needed the brakes, the residual brakes are more then enough to stop the bike.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 10:30 am

Issues....

No problem with the ABS here but enough other issues to be disappointed. The bearing of the first cylinder was gone, just out of warranty. Then when they repaired it they found out at the shop that they had to fix the clutch ( for the second time in 20.000 km) I'm without the bike for more than three weeks now.
I had to pay only part of the first failure, but as it was almost €400.- of the 2000 it cost, I'm still annoyed. And to think I was about to buy another type because my former R1100RS also had a lot of issues.
If these were cars, they wouldn't sell any.
It's a 2003 Blue one
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 11:27 am

Question Mr. Sphyrnidus......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus
No problem with the ABS here but enough other issues to be disappointed. The bearing of the first cylinder was gone, just out of warranty. Then when they repaired it they found out at the shop that they had to fix the clutch ( for the second time in 20.000 km) I'm without the bike for more than three weeks now.
I had to pay only part of the first failure, but as it was almost €400.- of the 2000 it cost, I'm still annoyed. And to think I was about to buy another type because my former R1100RS also had a lot of issues.
If these were cars, they wouldn't sell any.
It's a 2003 Blue one
It sounds like you have an issue with the dealer where you bought the bike. I am reading now it was "out" of warranty though. I know if you are still "under" warranty, the dealer is supposed to lend you a "loaner" bike. If I read my BMW "motorist help" plan book right, if you break down in a place and need repairs, they are supposed to furnish you with a rental car until the repairs have been made. C'mon guys (and gals), am I right?.
I am sure there are some experts on this out there in BMW Land.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:28 pm

Get R Done

I've got nearly 14k on my 04 GT and have loved every one.

If the bike suits your needs/desires then get it. IMO, this is the best sport touring bike out there.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:09 pm

loaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
It sounds like you have an issue with the dealer where you bought the bike. I am reading now it was "out" of warranty though. I know if you are still "under" warranty, the dealer is supposed to lend you a "loaner" bike. If I read my BMW "motorist help" plan book right, if you break down in a place and need repairs, they are supposed to furnish you with a rental car until the repairs have been made. C'mon guys (and gals), am I right?.
I am sure there are some experts on this out there in BMW Land.
Well a "loaner" is not what I'm after, the bike is still not finished yet btw. BMW loans you a car here instead of a bike. I don't need a loaner car I have one of those
It's funny I thought 1200GT must know the dealer, because I'm from Rotterdam too and then I noticed that you live in the USA and I live in the original in the Netherlands

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode