PIAA 1100 wiring - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 1:15 pm Thread Starter
Noob

PIAA 1100 wiring

Got the first of my planned "conspicuosness" upgrades done (a set of FIAMM horns that will make your ears bleed if triggered inside the garage.) The second one is almost done: a set of PIAA 1100 lights. I'm trying to figure out where to connect the third wire. The heavy white and black went to the pos and neg battery terminals, respectively. The third is a whit wire. When connected to a hot wire, the LED on the switch lights up.

The directions say to tie it to the high beam or low beam hot wire so the lights only go on when one or the other is on. I can hook it to the posative battery terminal, but then the LED and, therefore, the lights are always hot. The LED is not a concern, but anyone could walk by and turn my lights on with the push of a button, draining my bettery with this configuration. What have others done? Just find a switched hot wire, right to the battery or to high or low beam?

This is an '04 K1200RS.

Thanks,
Allan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 2:58 pm
GPM

I'm working from memory here, which has been known to be a bit faulty at times. I believe I hooked mine to the parking lamp lead which runs out of the bottom of the headlight housing. This gives you the option of running with both high and low beams, but is still only hot with the ignition on.

I'm sure that if I'm wrong, someone will correct me here shortly.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 7:29 pm
bcg

Check the BMW Forum Archives and search under "aux lights" and "wiring". The link below refers to use of an "Autoswitch" from Cyclegadgets which allows control of your PIAA lights from the turn signal cancel switch.

http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...ts&Main=135365

Good Luck,
Yuan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 4th, 2005, 8:07 pm
Looking for better limits...

That white wire is to trigger the relay. You can splice it into the headlamp lead, and it'll provide power when the headlights are on, and they will be off when stating the bike. The headlights are connected through a load-shed relay, such that anything on that circuit will be off when starting the bike. Using the parking light lead to provide power will allow the PIAA's to be on regardless of the starter button, but will come on when the key is off and turned to the park position (so you'd have to turn them off, and someone could come by and turn them on again). I can't think of anything off the top of my head that comes on when the key is in the on position only, yet does not go through the load-shed relay, that's easy to get to.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser SŲze
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 5th, 2005, 4:00 pm
Riding in company

Ray, I believe that THIS gadget, the Touratech Voltge Control Module, will do what you want. I've heard that those things are good for powering a GPS so that it doesn't reboot and reacquire the sats every time you start the bike.

BillA
Jersey Shore
K1200RS '04
BSA Victor '68ish
Club Car golf cart '92
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:22 am
Rookie

Yippee! My wife got me the PIAA 1100x lights for Christmas! Could someone tell me exactly where the white wire connects? I've read the previous posts (above), but being a GT newb just left me staring at my naked bike wondering just where exactly is the headlight lead and how to get at it. I really need a wiring diagram. Is there one around somewhere?

On another note, there doesn't seem to be a suitable place to mount the little on/off switch. There just doesn't seem to be a "perfect" place for it anywhere on the left handle unit. Anyone have a suitable solution? I'm thinking the Autoswitch option activated by the existing high beam switch is the best way to go.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 11:41 am
"DELIVERS"

Thumbs up

I connected my autoswitch to the signal cancel button....when you hold it in for 3 seconds it turns them on/off.....works great.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2005, 2:31 pm
Rookie

Thanks, milkman. I orderd the autoswitch. You're right, it works with the signal cancel button.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:52 am
Rookie

Ok, I have the autowitch now. Assuming I'm reading the wiring diagram correctly for both the light kit and the autoswitch, it looks like I can hook up three of the wires (red, black and violet) from the autoswitch to the plug connector for the manual switch (that I will no longer be using).

I've removed the right handle bar control unit and looked at that. I definitely don't want to booger that thing up.

So...... where, exactly, is the wire (on the bike) that the autoswitch (orange) trigger wire is supposed to connect to? Left side, right side? What's it close to? What color is it (brown with white stripe)?

(PS on the original light kit install, which works fine, I attached the white wire to the hi beam fuse connector)
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Jan 5th, 2006, 1:34 pm
"DELIVERS"

Thumbs up

Hook it up to the harness coming from the right bar....no need to diassemble anything....I believe it is the brown/white wire...I will confirm tonight after work and let you know....I'll also take a pic.

'04 GT...Orient Blue...Staintune...Ohlins...Power Commander

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode