flash headlight at intersection - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

flash headlight at intersection

When I'm approaching an in-town intersection and I see a car waiting to turn left across my path, besides slowing down, I sometimes flash my highbeam on/off to be sure they see me. I can't decide if this is the safe thing to do or not. Lately it seems like drivers will take this as a signal that they are to go ahead and try to quickly cross in front of me, rather than just sitting tight, which is what I'm trying to signal. (ABS just saved my bacon a couple of days ago, no doubt about it). I wonder if the seperation space has got something to do with it-the closer you are the more likely they are to jump? Any comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:13 pm
Looking for better limits...

Personally, I would expect them to move in front of me if I flashed my lights at them. If you want to get their attention and stay put, get a headlight modulator. Even then, I'd expect them to move in front of me, flashing (w/modulator) or not. They're like deer, you don't really know what they're going to do, and there's no sure way to get predictable results.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:28 pm
Veteran

It seems to me that people usually flash lights to say it's ok for the other driver to move over or do something. It's an acknowledgement that one sees or approves of the other. By you flashing your lights it sounds like you are saying it's ok for the other driver to turn or cross.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 5:52 pm
Noob

I run the Kisan Pathblazer which constantly flashes the high beam. It does get a lot of attention from cage drivers but I admit it does sometimes confuse people into thinking I would tell them to turn in front of me. The first few times this happened I was quite surprised but then I realized I was the one sending the mixed signals.
Still, it gets the cagers attention, and that's the intent. We motorcyclists need to "read" the reactions of all others that might cross our path and assume that they will cut us off. If they misread any of our signals, let them go and let's not get impatient or p.o.'d about it. It's all about OUR ride.
Be safe out there.
In snowy Pittsburgh, suffering from PMS for the third day (

Jürgen
Spokane
04K1200RS
04R1150GSAdv
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 6:21 pm
Enthusiast

Skip the flashing lights and weave...

I don't always do it, but I will weave back and forth as I approach a busy intersection, and only when I believe a driver that could do me harm is not paying attention or hasn't seen me.

It works. You can see their head pop up and shift in my direction. Give it a try.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 6:33 pm
Enthusiast

Angry Bmw Sport Touring Board

Keep flashing your lights at intersections and you will be in the ride well I just crashed section of the BMW Sport Touring Board soon. Are you new to driving, riding or planet?

Wow I didn't know BMW made motorcycles, Yeah I think Honda does too.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 7:01 pm
Enthusiast

I ride with moto lights on,low beams on,if I think some one isn't going to stop or pull out in front of me I will hit the brights and leave them on till I pass.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 7:31 pm

Thumbs down I too.....agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel
Personally, I would expect them to move in front of me if I flashed my lights at them. If you want to get their attention and stay put, get a headlight modulator. Even then, I'd expect them to move in front of me, flashing (w/modulator) or not. They're like deer, you don't really know what they're going to do, and there's no sure way to get predictable results.
I would agree if you "flash" the light at someone coming out of an intersection is dangerous. They almost positively think you are letting them out and pull right in front of you. A headlight modulator would definately be better. Myself, I ride during the daylight hours with my highbeam going. It may be annoying, but, it gets their attention. Being a trucker, flashing of the lights usually means someone is letting you out (specifically when you see trucks "flashing" their lights to tell the truck in front that it is safe to move over, such as after they have passed and cleared you). I would not recommend the flash mode.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 7:32 pm
Veteran

I got to go with Scott .. Are you just dumb or what? Everyone who's been driving more than 2 weeks knows that flashing ones lights means go ahead.. sheesh... Or maybe this is a troll?? I also do the weave the bike thing when aproching an intersection, seems to help wake the cages up and at least helps them notice me.. I'll also use high beams, if warented, keep my thumb on the horm buttom, and be ready for anything.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Dec 7th, 2005, 8:16 pm

Well, that takes care of the intentional high beam flashing, but due to the way many bike headlights are mounted like an R1150R, the headlight looks like it is flashing to high beam when the bike hits a bump even when on low beam. Very hard to tell what is intended for the opposing traffic. No need to flash anything in that case. I leave the high beam on a lot during the day and believe it is a much better way to go.

Mary

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode