Ztechnik Chip with 2 Brothers Exhaust - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 3:48 pm Thread Starter

Ztechnik Chip with 2 Brothers Exhaust

If you know cases where this combination is used successfully or unsuccessfully I would appreciate comments. The Ztecnik chip is $170 compared to $400 for a Rhinewest chip so I am leaning toward the Ztechnik. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 6:35 pm

Joel It works great!!

I have a 2004 K1200GT with a Two Bros Exhaust.

I don't think that the bike ever quite ran correctly with the Two Bros until I installed the Ztech chip.

The bike had a rough idle, could be hard to start on cool mornings, and would blow some black smoke on hard accellerations. Once I put the Ztech chip in the bike it started running MINT! Feels like it has more power too.

I think that the bike runs too rich with just the Two Bros exhaust. It can't compensate for the lack of backpressure in the pipe.

Ztech says that their chip corrects the air/fuel mixture due to the lack of backpressure in the pipe. I totally believe that. The bike now runs PERFECTLY. I love it!

I also know someone that is very happy with the chip and a Staintune exhaust.

They say that the Rhinewest chip works better with a stock exhaust but also will work with an aftermarket exhaust. I don't know, that sounds strange to me. They also say that you can just bolt on the Two Bros exhaust but in my opinion the bike didn't run correctly until I put in the Ztech chip.

One important thing to note. Ztech lists the chip for the 2001 and up bikes. Some say it is 8/99 and up bikes. I don't know what year bike you have but be carefull because there were some year 2000 bikes that were "gray area" bikes and may or may not work with the chip. I think you're safe with 2001 and up bikes.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2005, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the post. Very good to hear that it worked well for you. I have the 2 Brothers installed and I disconnected the battery after installation so the ECU would re-program itself. I rode the bike about 100 miles. Above 3000 rpms the bike runs great. A lot of power on the top end. However from idle through about 2500 rpms the bike runs rough, appears to be too rich. I think this goes along with what you are saying about your experience. Mine is a 2002 model so I'm OK there. I have the chip ordered and I'm hoping to have good results like yourself. I'm confused about the Rhinewest claims as well. I don't see how the same chip can work equally well with the stock exhaust and a custom exhaust which has much less back pressure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2010, 3:29 pm
crh
Noob

Will this Ztechnik chip help the power on my 2000 K1200RS using my stock exhaust and a K&N? I can't afford an aftermarket exhaust right now and would like a little fatter powerband, but I *really* can't afford a holed piston from running too lean, either

Can anyone tell me if using the Ztechnik chip for this year's needs to be matched to this 'bridge' period in the K1200's black box iteration, and if it is, will this chip work with a stock Beemer 2000 K1200RS exhaust?

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode