Tires and Helmet - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 1:50 am Thread Starter

Tires and Helmet

What do you recommend for wet weather tires for GT, very wet I live in Hawaii we get rained on almost every ride even in Summer.

Part 2, Helmet looking for quieter helmet I hear wind whistling in mine too much even with face sheild closed, I have heard Shcuberth's are quiet but no dealer around here to try one on, and I have heard that with Shuberth that is a must as sizes seem to differ from other manufacters

any help will be most appreciated

Thanks,

HIBEEMER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 3:37 am
Throttle Jockey

Best wet weather tires I've ever used are the Michelin Pilot Powers. I have an Arai RX7RR4 helmet, and it is noisy, so I wouldn't get a top of the line Arai for "quietness". Ear plugs however, will make any helmet tolerable.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 5:58 am
Addict

no question, best helmet is nolan

i bought the nolan 1000e flip helmet. u wont be sorry. the thing has won awards around the world. just make sure u fit one at a cycle shop before buying on web. have someone put their hand at base of helmet and check for movement. fit is KEY for good quite ride. i bought mine on the web for $179, no tax. wouldnt trade it for any of the $600 helmets. trust me.........btw, i use it for my kgt AND my '97 sportster without a windshield. the wind doesnt permeate on the sportster, even at 100mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 6:23 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Quiet helmets

Schuberths are not quiet. They are comfortable, convenient, and they have a built in sun visor. But they're not quiet. If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
Schuberths are not quiet. They are comfortable, convenient, and they have a built in sun visor. But they're not quiet. If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.
I agree, my concept 1 is not very quiet. Although I hear that the new C2 is quieter and the full face S1 is very quiet. Don't buy a Schuberth without trying one on. The Schuberth will fit a round head best, so if your head is more oval it won't fit well at all. Arai makes models that fit both round and oval heads.
Good Luck!

'04 K1200RS
'07 R1200RT
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 7:15 am

I have P-Powers on the bike now, but I have not seen much rain with them. I have had three sets of P-Roads and you'll have a tough time finding a better rain tire that performs very well in the dry and also gives you lots of miles (6,000+ in my case).
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 8:48 am
"Hey Y'all"

Michelin man .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiBeemer
What do you recommend for wet weather tires for GT, ...........
Haven't tried the Powers, but Michelin Pilot Roads are the best rain out there that I've ever used. They're so good I wouldn't hesitate to ride anywhere in the wet with them.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Texas  Beach.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	978  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:23 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckwilmot
If you decide to buy one on the 'net without trying it on, be careful because they tend to run a little large.
I bought a C2. It is considerably more quiet than the HJC flipup. Also is runs small. I wear a extra large HJC or Shoei. I needed an XXL Schuberth and it's still very tight.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:36 am

My choices.......

I lean towards my Metzeler Z6's for the rain, even though my buddy who rides year round
(upstate NY) swears he likes the Z6's better for speed and cornering (K12RS) but, likes the Avon's in the rain. My helmet is a cheapy HJC (only because it is one that comes in a XXXL) CL-12. It too is noisy, but watertight. You may want to check out the "Laminar Lip"
for your windscreen, I have heard they help?.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:11 am

Helmet/tires

I have the S1 schuberth and it is quiet . It is a tight fit and tends to be warmer than most . The sun visor is great and I am totally satisfied with it. I have run the Z6 Metzlers on my GT now on the 6th pair . For rain the rear can be a bitch if you need to stop immediately. I will switch to something that has tread in the center . If you ride hard the tires will wear quickly . I get about 5000 miles out of mine . New they are awesome for sticking in the twisties on dry land.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode