My new bike is totalled???? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 8:44 am Thread Starter

My new bike is totalled????

WTF?
After only 4 months of ownership, I lowsided the GT on some cement dust(in a corner). Bike slid on left, hit curb, stood up and then fell over on rt side...While hauling it to the dealer(bike woudn't start). It tipped the trailer it was on and fell on the rt side some more. Additional damage included clutch reservoir, handlebar, and windscreen. Most every piece of plastic on the front was scratched, both footpegs bent(left strut had cracked) occurred during the initial accident, so not too much more damage.
But? After 3 weeks at the dealer, they gave me an estimate of $9,100.??? Sent that to USAA and now they are preparing a proposed total loss of the bike...
I've been riding for a loong time, and was amazed at how much damage it suffered.
I now face the prospect of a salvage title, a winter spent repairing and the hope of selling it for a good price in the springtime... Or I suppose I could take the settlement and put that towards the rather fugly(I don't care for it at this time, and I've already sat on it) new GT, with prices going over $20k?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 8:57 am
Addict

well it's sad to hear that you dumped your bike but at least you're around to talk about it. you don't mention if the bike is brand new or just new to you. i'll assume the bike is used and if so the insurance company has totalled it because it's cheaper than having it repaired. due to the nature of the damages they may have determined the bike even if repaired would not be safe to ride. not really sure their reasoning because you never know with insurance companies. i would take the settlement buy the salvage rights and part the bike out because parts are probably worth more than the bike.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 9:04 am Thread Starter

Thanks Well, it was actually new to me and new as well! I had bought a demo '04 from MaxBMW with 12 miles on it. I had put over 6K on it in 3 months. The lowside happened at less than 10mph. I was actually up before the bike stopped moving. I have in the past, suffered some really horrendous accidents(2, both not my fault) with totally shattered bikes(front forks bent under as it impacted the car, rear rim dented, carbon fiber exhaust shattered, brackets ripped out and broken, etc). So I AM lucky, but just amazed that other than some plastic, its intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:39 am

If the bike was running for any time while it was down take the settlement
and apply it to a new bike.

There's been 3 or 4 folks around that have thrown a rod
due to the rod bearing failing because the engine ran
without oil pressure (on its side) due to its wet sump design

BMW will not warranty a bike with a salvaged title obviously
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 2:14 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobvfr
Thanks Well, it was actually new to me and new as well! I had bought a demo '04 from MaxBMW with 12 miles on it.
12 miles and it was a demo? I'd ask for another deal like that! Shoot...mine had 9 miles on the odo when I picked it up, new. Delivered to the dealer it had just one on both odo's. Someone may have taken it for a short ride, I suppose...

As mentioned, though, if it was running on it's left side for any time, might be the best choice to take the settlement.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 3:19 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobvfr
So I AM lucky, but just amazed that other than some plastic, its intact.
Plastic is just SO FREAKING expensive that many bikes get totaled just for the plastic!

Had a friend a few years ago wreck his Suziki go fast bike, tweaked all the body panels and the mirrors. Insurance totaled it $7K worth of plastic. He bought it back and put aftermarket plastic on it for 1.5-2k and had a paid for sport bike that was pretty unique to go with it!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 3:32 pm

Talking

It all depends on how long you plan on keeping the bike.

I crashed my 2002 R1150RS on my fourth months of ownership with 4200 mi. on the odometer. the bike suffered some body madage, rear subframe was a little tweacked but not really noticable, original insurance estimate was over $8000 of damage, I towed the bike into a friends' garage over the winter, I did the repair myself with parts bought on eBay and other sources, spent less than $1000 on replacement parts and got the bike back on the road 5 months later.. kept the bike as clean title, rode it until 30,000+ miles within two years, the clutch/transmission spline went kaput and replaced under warranty, sold the bike for a good enough price to replace it with a 2000 VFR800 and a 1987 K75.
Those BMW's take a beatin' and keeps on tickin'.. if you can repair and source parts yourself, you can keep the bike as clean title.

Master your environment, and you will survive just fine.
Chances favor the prepared mind.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Hi,

Sounds like its too late to keep the title clean if the Insurance Co. knows about it,they will likely report the loss to DMV.

Let us know how the USAA experience goes, we have that insurance.
Have heard only positives about them in the past.

JR356
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 10:20 pm

Glad to see You have USAA and that your OK... they will take good care of you. I have been with them for 20 years and they have never done me wrong

Last edited by motorrad4fun; Dec 9th, 2005 at 10:21 pm. Reason: miss spelled word
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 11:06 pm

What's their total loss offer on the bike?? If there is $9100 of damage on the bike then it shouldn't be a total, not on an '04. If you are confident the frame and engine are OK then I'd negotiate a settlement with the insurance carrier, short of a total loss setting, and keep the bike. Repair it and either ride it or sell it-- you'll come out $$$ ahead I'd bet. Just MHO,

Best,

GTRider

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode