red tail light bulb - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 6:12 pm Thread Starter

red tail light bulb

I have a 2002 K1200RS and recently changed the tail light lens to a clear lens. The clear lens requires a red tail light bulb which is almost impossible to find. I did find a red LED bulb that fits but my dash warning light is now illuminated (which, per the manual, means I have a tail light out). How can I continue to use my LED tail light without having my dash warning light lit?

Thanks,
RLK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 9th, 2005, 6:23 pm
Enthusiast

Smile Red LED and dash warning....

A better solution is to install a Brake! LED Tailliight conversion light from Vendor Premier Cycle Products. I just ordered and received mine (have not installed yet as my bike is in shop for other work). Supposed to be 100% compatable with EVO brake system sensors.

03K12RS
:wtf Joel Callan :wtf
Milwaukee, WI 53222

Homepage
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2005, 6:24 am
Addict

First be sure the led is bright for a wide angle, most single leds are narrow angle. If you fit any lower power rear lamp, the bulb warning system will see this as a lamp fail. I'm not sure where its threshold level is, but a shunt resistor up to the equivalent power of the stock lamp would do the trick. I suspect this is what the commercial units do. Somehow though, it defeats the excercise unless the resistor value is such as to consume say half or less power than the stock bulb.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2005, 7:54 am

You can add an inline resistor that will "fool" the bike into thinking the correct bulb is in place, found here: http://www.eautoworks.com/html/produ...source=froogle

If you like a short voltage lesson on what to do on your own, look here:http://forums.linear1.org/index.php/topic,518.0.html
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 10th, 2005, 11:26 pm
Addict

The Brake! tail light is the way to go. It is very bright and the flashing is great. Of course, if you prefer not to have it flash, you can configure it to not flash.

Lache pas la patate

Robert Odendahl
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 4:18 pm
Enthusiast

Tail Light observations

I don't understand the attraction that 'clear' type lenses have, but I do know that Mudbug is correct when he posted above "The Brake! tail light is the way to go. It is very bright and the flashing is great."

Don't waste your time with a single replacement LED lamp where you have to add a shunt resistor and all that foolishness. You still won't have anything. The viewing angle of those bulbs is very narrow, and they are not particularly bight or noticeable when used on a motorcycle. By angle, I mean that a car in a lane alongside cannot even see the things.

Remember, you are trying to improve things, not go backwards. The Brake! system is brighter than stock on both normal and braking modes, and will not affect the computer and set off the fail lamp.

This subject was covered in great and tedious detail on the old site. Its archive may still be searchable.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 9:36 am
Addict

Brake! & Colored Bulbs

Aren't the LED's in the Brake! white, and therefore have to be used behind a red lens?

You can try these guys, and they just replied that they have the red bulbs in stock.

1157 Red Twist Mount Bulbs (2 contacts on bottom, 12V 27/8W)

http://www.lightlens.com/coloredbulbs.htm

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...

Last edited by DallasKRSRider; Dec 12th, 2005 at 9:53 am. Reason: add info
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 10:40 am

LED's in the Brake! are red.....I have one on my K....really like this tail light!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 2:57 pm
Addict

Talking Wtf

ExRTGuy......WTF is that on your head? Don't you know you aren't supposed to drink and ride, and certainly you wouldn't have that on your head if you were sober.

But what do I know, I am an AOL Member...........

Ken Bowen-Retired MSF RiderCoach

Kerrville, TX

"Ride Safe, Ride Smart, Ride Home...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:33 pm

Thumbs up

I put the Brake! led on my Gt along with the Lite Buddy's. Got both from Pirate and have been feeling a lot better about traffic behind me.

'72 Penton Berkshire
'72 Penton Six Day
'78 75th Aniv Sportster (1st owner, sold '89)
'82 Honda cr250r
'04 K12Gt - KIA '09
'08 K12S
Robert Manucy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode