Idle adjustment problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 1:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Idle adjustment problem

I have a 2002 k1200rs and for no apparant reason after warming up the idle goes from 1000 to 1500 and stays there regardless of the context. my question is what is the best way to deteremine cause. some of the other thread have said it may be vacuum hose problem. but there is no surge in rpm it just goes to 1500.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 2:27 pm
Throttle Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarvit
Some of the other thread have said it may be vacuum hose problem. but there is no surge in rpm it just goes to 1500.
Check the vacuum hoses.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 3:49 pm
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickd
Check the vacuum hoses.
What he said...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:05 pm Thread Starter
Noob

idle

ok there is a concensus that it is the vacuum hoses. do you have a reference on how i can get to them without taking apart all the plastic? the simpler the better.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:07 pm
Veteran

There's no idle adjustment for the K, so you know. Your symptoms match 100% a vacuum leak. Remove your left side panel, and most likely you'll find a loose vacuum (there're 4) from the solenoid that sucks fumes from the canister. Cut the tip of the hoses, and insert them all the way in. Other than removing all that crap (like I did), that should take care of your problem for a while.
The other reason for high idle, but not that high (I had it), and only when hot, are misadjusted throttle cables (as of too tight).
Ks don't usually idle perfectly, so expect some very mild fluctuation, but always around 1K rpm. Hope this helps.
JC
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 8:36 pm

do you have auxiliary lights switched on while the bike is idling? The Motronic will compensate by bumping the idle up to keep the battery voltage charged up. If this is not the case, then what they said above.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:34 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
ok there is a concensus that it is the vacuum hoses. do you have a reference on how i can get to them without taking apart all the plastic? the simpler the better.
Well, in a nutshell, the plastic has to come off. Daunting task the first time, but after a couple of sessions, it's not the horrifying experience you might initially think it is. Nose piece is fun, and so will the left-side panel, as they have other means of attachment besides the screws. There are four screws holding the nose piece on, and then the tabs that require a bit of faith when finally removing the nose piece. But, it pops off.
I don't remember how many screws there are with the side panel, then the grommet/pin connection about the center (vertically) and inline (appx) with the rear of the gas cap. Finally, two tabs on the top connecting to the gas tank center piece (you end up lifting up, with the rear coming up in an arc). Might take you an hour the first time, but once done, takes 15 minutes afterwards.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Sze
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:54 pm
Addict

Yes Razel, I'm glad you referred to it as a daunting task! In my ignorance I thought I'd be able to get the nose piece off to get to my headlamp unit dead easy. But as you say, it's interlocked with the side plastics - when they didn't need to try hard to make it separately removable. But then the rear side plastics are the same. Why doesn't German logic say, 'make the small body bits easily removable and the harder big bits only when you really need them off?'

I recently had a real bad experience with the (expensive) side panels I'll share. I've had these off so many times I'm not a beginner at it. But having removed all the fixings the last time, I pulled at the panel to pull off the grommet in the panel from the peg.

Unfortunately it was cold, my grip was higher up near the curve behind the tank and I put a small hair width crack in the panel behind the tank. Fortunately, I could make a near invisible repair with ABS bonding adhesive on the back.

When the BMW grommet got lost on the opposite panel I'd fitted a rubber electrical grommet that was much looser and needed less force to lift the panel. I've now got the same size grommet on both sides, plenty of silicon grease and wished I'd done it sooner.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 5:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

idle adjustment

I called my mechanic to see if he had a suggestion and he said he sets the idle at 1500 warm as it is better for the engine etc. so that 1000 cold is what is to be expected. my question is whether there is any harm in running 1500 at idle other than gas and creeping. also if it was indeed 1500 due to a vacuum hose problem would this be a further problem if not handled?
thanks for the help.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 6:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
I called my mechanic to see if he had a suggestion and he said he sets the idle at 1500 warm as it is better for the engine etc. so that 1000 cold is what is to be expected. my question is whether there is any harm in running 1500 at idle other than gas and creeping. also if it was indeed 1500 due to a vacuum hose problem would this be a further problem if not handled?
thanks for the help.
I don't think you will find a single person on this site whose K1200 idles at 1,500rpm. My '04 KRS idles at a steady 1,050-1,100rpm. and I am happy with that.
I think you just have to bite the bullet and take off the plastic and fuel tank. Then check each and every vacuum line. If you find one cracked or disconnected, bring it to your dealership with a jar of KY jelly. If there is no leaks, chalk it up to a good experence.
Bruce C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode