Opinions......battery... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2005, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Question Opinions......battery...

Since I plan on riding this winter, what does everyone think about the battery in the cold?.
Temps here between 10 below (F) to 20 above (F) at night (unheated garage). I took out battery a week ago, then turned around and re-installed it to take a ride. I now have my BMW battery/tender charger on it to maintain charge through the plug on side of bike. Do you think the cold will kill my battery even though I plan on leaving it hooked up??. It only takes me 10-15 minutes to re-install and remove. Except for the "pain in the ass" attempt to put the adjustable seat back on in the "high" position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 11:36 am
Lee
Enthusiast

You should not have a problem with the cold if you keep the battery charged.
We have similar temps here and I keep our bikes in a unheated garage with no problem.
I change our batteries at 5 years.

On the seat.
Only let the back of the seat catch into the top part of the latch. Lift the front of the seat and push forward, then push the back all the way down into the latch. Have the bike in gear or if it is on the center stand be careful not to push it off the stand.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:37 pm
Addict

I never take my battery out to recharge it as it rarely gets that low. I always plug in the tender after every ride winter or summer. Float charge tenders put out just enough to keep the battery warm and charged. If you have the wet type battery and stick a thermometer in a cell hole, you'll see it's quite cosy left hooked up.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 12:58 pm
Addict

Batteries lose less charge when cold. The only cold issue is the thicker oil and the required higher current and longer duration of the starter. Don't bother taking the battery out and putting it in a warm house.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 1:07 pm
Addict

It's not just loss of charge that's the issue, it's whether a battery can still deliver higher cranking current and sustain it when cold and the oil as you say is thick. I thought most chemical reactions and ion transfer processes take place better with warm ingredients? So yes the rate of self discharge will be less, but you really need it to deliver lots of current.

Ever noticed that the apparent cold flat battery can miraculously start your bike once you get it indoors and warm it up -without putting it on a charger? My motor always wizzes round like a top, even with relatively mild temps down to -10 centigrade.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
It's not just loss of charge that's the issue...
Absolutely. But, this is only an issue if you want to move the battery in and out many times a year. I wouldn't recommend it, as it puts you at higher risk of a failure for the high current path.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:28 pm

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200GTosprey
ÖExcept for the "pain in the ass" attempt to put the adjustable seat back on in the "high" position.
Use the Kisan ChargeX. It's mounted ON the m/c w/ wire ties, so just unroll the cord and plug in to 110AC cord at the nearest outlet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 19th, 2005, 11:07 pm

Cold Battery

I live in Wisconsin. Get's pretty darn cold up here. I leave mine in the bike year round and just plug the battery tender in. Never had a problem... I did change the battery this summer due to age (not any staring issue) with an Odessy dry cell. I'll see how it holds up treated the same way, but I'm not expecting any issues...

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode