Expensive experiment ?????? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2005, 7:01 pm Thread Starter

Question Expensive experiment ??????

At the Long Beach IMS, I bought a set of "Hunter Flatbars". The idea seems sound to get rid of hand numbness. They felt good to me. The bad part is that I am cutting off the bars on the KRS to install them. I may be looking for a used set of handlebars if this doesn't work. I will definately give a full installation and riding post about them. Grip warmers are also available. They will not work with some throttle friction locks. This company also markets a really cool rotary 4 cylinder (As in the entire engine spins) they designed. Keep an eye out for my future post of success or failure. Check them out at:

http://hunterdesigns.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:00 pm

Any update?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 6:25 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkvelvt
This company also markets a really cool rotary 4 cylinder (As in the entire engine spins) they designed. Keep an eye out for my future post of success or failure. Check them out at:
This is a big leap to the past! The Gnome rotary engine of WWI was a radial engine that had its crankshaft fixed to the plane, and the cylinders rotated with the prop.

Bob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 7:44 pm Thread Starter

The engine is crudely similiar to the rotary pusher radials of the past. Induction, thermal efficiency and design has evolved with technology. I doubt we would have to pull the plugs and rotate the cylinders to clear the hydro-lock condition.

Update on the bars... I found out BMW bars are solid. After buying a replacement left side, I am having the old left bar cut and TIG welded with a hollow handlebar section. This mod is harder than most would bother with. If this works on the left, I'll do the right side. I just have the access to some great aerospace welding buddies that are helping out. I'll let you know when this PITA mod is done with pics.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 11:25 pm

Very interesting. I would never have guessed they are solid. The R11RS bars are not and they are a similar design. Keep us posted. --Jerry
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2006, 11:21 pm
Addict

BLKvelvt hand numbness.

I bet you are over 50. I had this finger numbness when got my first K1200 RS in 02
I couldn't feel a thing when I rode.

It was not the bike, it was me. I got a shot of cortisone in both carpoltunnels and no more numbness.

You may want a second opinion.

Bazra
Aka: The Flash
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2006, 8:50 pm Thread Starter

It isn't hand numbness. I really liked the feel of these grip/handlebar extensions. Simply imagine this. Standard grips are shaped like holding round bar almost as thick as a shovel handle with gloves on. Now take either hand and grab the first two fingers on your opposite hand like a grip. The flatbars are made of a soft foam/replaceable grip over a 1/2" thick ergonomic cut flat stock. The left grip can be rotated to any angle at any time. They are truly different feeling. I loved they way they feel. I'll be using them on multiple bikes. Your hands can rest against or on them instead of over them. Here are some pics of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4334.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	1858   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4337.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	1859   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_4336.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1860  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode