Servo Brake Problem - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:36 pm Thread Starter

Servo Brake Problem

re: 2003 K1200 RS with 14,000 miles.

My servo motor does not want to run immediately after starting the engine. The red warning light blinks rapidly until the servo motor starts. After it starts running which sometimes takes 2-3 minutes, everything is fine. It used to be very intermittant but now happens every time I start the bike. There is almost no braking ability without the servo motor running.

I did bleed the brakes last summer but am not sure I did it properly. Is there a site where I can download bleeding proceedures with locations of each fitting to be bled?

Suggestions and comments are welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Veteran

Here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Integral Brake Bleed copy.pdf (590.9 KB, 127 views)

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2009, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Thank You,

Does this problen sound like something that would be caused by air entrapment in the ABS? I bled the front and rear brake calipers because the previous owner let the small inside reservoir go dry. I used two quarts of fluid until no air came out of the line but did not touch the fittings that are mentioned in the article.

I don't know the symptoms of a failing servo motor. Do they just go out all at once?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2009, 10:22 am
Veteran

I really don't know, my integral brake system worked flawlessly the entire time I had the bike.
The system should self-diagnose in a few seconds after turning on the key. You aren't holding the bike on a hill or anything while the bike is trying to self check are you?
The inside reservoir is for the front wheel circuit, don't know if that would effect the modulator operation, but it sure wouldn't do the pump any good. Plus the PO should have gotten a flashing warning light on the dash for low fluid in the reservoir.
Did you poke thru the "search" function? I'm sure there is a ton of information in there.

Bruce C
'04 K1200RS Capri Blue(totaled)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzacco
Thank You,

Does this problen sound like something that would be caused by air entrapment in the ABS? I bled the front and rear brake calipers because the previous owner let the small inside reservoir go dry. I used two quarts of fluid until no air came out of the line but did not touch the fittings that are mentioned in the article.

I don't know the symptoms of a failing servo motor. Do they just go out all at once?
Last evening after a ride with a friend, who is also my wrench, we talked changing some fluids and then about bleeding brakes on the K/RS with servo. He said it is a pain in that if you change both front and rear fluids, there are about 11 points to bleed. So perhaps the other points still have dirt trapped. He said without doing all you can begin to get some ABS difficulties.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm
Addict

Be sure to have the battery load tested, to be sure it is OK since this bike lives in the garage so much.

Then be sure that the brake fluid resv. are full.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Just wanted to post the results of my brake problem investigation for the benefit of anybody having similar problems.
My rear brake lever was not returning to the full up position so the micro switch was not being depressed. This causes the servo motor to remain off after starting. Riding the bike would eventually vibrate the brake pedal up and the servo motor would come on. The simple fix was to remove the lever and lubricate with Teflon then reassemble. I'll go ahead and do the full ABS bleeding before putting the bike back into service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode