Cold Weather and the Cruise Control - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 2009, 11:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Cold Weather and the Cruise Control

I've experienced some problems over this past Winter with my cruise control (2004 K1200GT). It seems when the temp dips below about 35 degrees, the unit will not remain engaged....sometimes engages, then quickly disengages, or will not engage at all. Once the day warms up a bit it works just as always.....never a problem in warmer temps.

Has anyone else experienced this or might have an idea of what is going on? I'll probably start tracing wires to see if something is not quite right, but other than that....any suggestions?

Thanks

Carpe Beemum

1975 R75/6
2004 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:48 am
Will ride for picts

I have this problem also, and I'm certain that it's the clutch microswitch adjustment on mine. Fiddling with the clutch handle during cold weather solves the problem. I'm pretty sure its just a microswitch adjustment, but I just haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. It's only a problem from December - March, and I don't ever use cruise control when under freezing temps.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:45 am

Mine was the rear brake microswitch. Lots of WD40 on it cleared it up. The throttle cable settings also came into play as when doing the diagnostics thats where it would initally fail. Evidently they were close enough that they would work. It was the rear brake one that consistent showed up as open when it should have been closed. A good place to start is with the diagnostics procedure to see what shows up as failing.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 2009, 3:26 pm
Enthusiast

Switch

clean and adjust all microswitchs,brakes frt/rr,clutch,throttle cable.I'vused my 02 RS in the cold 32 and below it work just like summer time,

WOOLF
99 R1100S BLACK
02K1200RS BLACK
Iron Butt Member
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 7:54 pm
MIK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thickasabrick
Has anyone else experienced this or might have an idea of what is going on? I'll probably start tracing wires to see if something is not quite right, but other than that....any suggestions?
When it doesn't work, try this first
http://www.k-bikes.com/ubbthreads/sh...l&Number=28727

That did not help me, though, as the problem was very intermittent on my bike and the test was always successful. But I managed to isolate the source by simple experimentation. When Cruise control would engage normally, I'd disengage it by triggering different switches and the throttle was the one causing the problem. After I disengage CC by rolling off throttle, CC wouldn't switch back on for a while.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 8:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOOLF
clean and adjust all microswitchs,brakes frt/rr,clutch,throttle cable.I'vused my 02 RS in the cold 32 and below it work just like summer time,
Once working again it has worked from 9F to 100F without a problem..

Thick, Just be aware some of the things are really buried. What did the diagnosis tell you? That should really narrow things down. Even if you have an intermittent problem, learn the drill and do it when things stop working.
NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode