Parking Lamp?!?!? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Parking Lamp?!?!?

Ok, I found out that I had one on the bike from the archives of this forum. I am still waiting on owner's manual from A&S to become more knowledgeable about my machine. I know what it is for and when to use it from my Opel Reckord days in Germany. I don't think mine works, or if it does I don't know how to turn it on. I did locate it above the oil cooler, but have tried fingers, pliers and channel locks to pull it out, and she's in there good! I can not budge it.
Any advice would be most appreciated.

( gone but not forgotten)
1985 K100RS
Alaska Blue
(Current Bike)
1999 Silver & Blue (Zebra)
K1200RS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 2009, 10:04 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjwrad
Ok, I found out that I had one on the bike from the archives of this forum. I am still waiting on owner's manual from A&S to become more knowledgeable about my machine. I know what it is for and when to use it from my Opel Reckord days in Germany. I don't think mine works, or if it does I don't know how to turn it on. I did locate it above the oil cooler, but have tried fingers, pliers and channel locks to pull it out, and she's in there good! I can not budge it.
Any advice would be most appreciated.
The light is switched with the ignition, so it's always on when the ignition is on. You can also use it as a parking light by turning the handlebars to the left, turn the key left to lock the bars, then turn the key on more stop left to turn on the light.

It can be a biyatch to remove, but there's no secret twist or screw to it, its just plugged in there like a rubber stopper in a sink drain. You might try some silcone lube. Just don't tell the SO what yer doing with the Astroglide on the motorcycle.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 9:47 am
Addict

When you've replaced it, one day you'll wish you hadn't.

You'll park the bike, turn the key a full anti-clockwise and walk away with the parking light lit, then some hours later a flat battery.

Mindset with these bikes is 'fully anti-clockwise and ONE click clockwise' before pulling the key out. Don't ask why they couldn't design a switch you had to press in with the key to select the parking light position. Good job they got it right for reverse shift on their cars!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2009, 6:05 pm
Enthusiast

You might be grabbing to much? It really is like a stopper in a bottle and the housing extends to or beyond the stopper. Locate it sort of rider's left of center, just in front of and above the oil cooler....find where the wires go in and grab the softish rubber only. If it feels like hard plastic, you have the headlight housing. Mine just pops right out when I grab it from the back by the wires and wiggle it for and aft....The bulb and socket that is. It is a low wattage bulb and is invisible while riding (I tried colored bulbs just for fun and they get lost unless you are truely using it as a parking lamp then it is too dim....).

I don't have the problem with turning the switch too far. Turning it past the single detent for the steering lock takes a little extra effort on mine. It is a full 1/4 turn to go from OFF to Head Lock, then another 1/5 turn to get to Park, so nearly halfway round from OFF. Then, I also have Run-n-Lites as well as Photon Blasters. Each of which is powered by the parking lamp circuit, so I would never leave mine on anyway....certainly would never be able to walk away without knowing the Photon Blasters are on...

Not sure how long you have been waiting for your manual, but normally A&S is timely when they make the sale, new or used, that is my experience since '91. Like all dealers, they may have good and bad days, but a little friendly reminder should get the ball rolling again.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2009, 9:59 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks Y2K12RS

I did, (thanks to the previous poster) figure out how to get it to work. I was trying to get to the "P" with out the handle bars locked, like a dummy. Once I did lock them the key went to the park position very easily, and just like that, the little light came on in the headlight and the rear light as well. Well what do you know. It is amazing! It wernt burnt out after all. I felt like a complete Noob. Oh well, live and learn. I don't think I will ever use it again anyway, except to show my buddies. I think you are right about it being an extreme twist to get there in the first place, would be hard to do by accident.

My bad, about A&S. it is not their fault at all. I slightly exaggerated the claim of waiting for the manual. Truth is, I have tried three times, twice online and once on the phone to order it, but have always been distracted by work or other stuff, and was unable to complete the order. I am taking it as a warning that maybe I donít need an ownerís manual after all. Iíll save the money and just use this forum to ask the dumb questions. I think most of them I have covered myself or can find in archives. I did get the Repair manual for free on line, so that helps allot. I did not want this turn into a dealer bashing thread. I too have had good dealings with A&S. I like Max better though because they always put a bag of M&Ms in the order!

( gone but not forgotten)
1985 K100RS
Alaska Blue
(Current Bike)
1999 Silver & Blue (Zebra)
K1200RS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode