Clutch slave problem 2004 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 9:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Clutch slave problem 2004 K1200GT

The clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week and someone told me that I may have a slave cylinder problem and if I do, then I may need to rebuild the entire clutch! Also he said that if I get clutch slippage, this means that I AM LEAKING FLUID INTO THE CLUTCH MECHANISM! Well I went to pass at high speed and the clutch did indeed slip! Please someone throw me a bone and let me know that I am not going to have to drop a big nut on this thing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Will ride for picts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
The clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week and someone told me that I may have a slave cylinder problem and if I do, then I may need to rebuild the entire clutch! Also he said that if I get clutch slippage, this means that I AM LEAKING FLUID INTO THE CLUTCH MECHANISM! Well I went to pass at high speed and the clutch did indeed slip! Please someone throw me a bone and let me know that I am not going to have to drop a big nut on this thing!
You have the infamous clutch slave leak. Do a search, lots posted on this failure mode and the fix. You're gonna have to pull the tranny and rebuild the clutch, replace the engine rear main seal and tranny input seal while in there. Make sure the clutch pushrod has the new wiper on it.

Sierra Cement: Good for skis, bad for knees.

www.rhhall.smugmug.com
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 2009, 8:55 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Infamous Clutch Slave Leak

You were correct, I took the bike to the dealer last week and they did indeed tell me that the slave cylinder was leaking and the entire clutch and slave were in need of replacement. Since I bought the bike just three weeks ago, thay agreed to do it for free. WHEW!! Seems that the previous owner traded it in with the problem.
By the way, Sierra Cement is great on my knees. I just wish that I could get out there to ski it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw__k_1200_gt_2004_7.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	10720  

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 12th, 2009, 10:23 am
Addict

Wow you have a stand up dealer.
Some others my want to buy a bike from them, who is the dealer please?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 8:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

My dealer

The dealer is Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. Good people great bikes.

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2009, 1:35 am
Looking for better limits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond
The dealer is Bob's BMW in Jessup, MD. Good people great bikes.
Ok, while they're in there, have them replace the input transmission seal and engine rear oil seal. Parts are cheap, labor would be appx 1 hour more.

Brake fluid does nasty things to regular oil seals. It's worth the investment on the chance that the brake fluid came in contact with both to have this done vs. ~$1200+ some time later. If the clutch is being replaced due to contamination, your seals will be going out within a year.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Ray
2010 K1300GT Royal Blue
2003 K1200GT Orient Blue (for sale)
2007 G650 X-Challenge

IBA #34158

Be a K-Bikes Supporter

I work for Keyser Söze
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2009, 9:31 pm

Clutch slave problem 2004 K1200GT

CrazyDiamond and Razel, nice job with your postings, it was valuable info. Love your bike crazyDiamond, I have the same color and year. I think I might have the same problem as well. I noticed a slippage in 6th gear as I was accelerating tonight. Also, what did you mean by "clutch master on my K12GT went very low last week"? Also, do you know how much this job should run (ballpark $ and time)? Your dealer should be commended.

Last edited by schuler; Sep 24th, 2009 at 9:33 pm. Reason: title
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2009, 9:58 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Clutch slave problem

Schuler, glad to help. When the slave leaks into the clutch, the flluid needs to go somewhere and that somewhere is into the clutch thus, the clutch master will go down. You need to get the problem Dxed now, because if you let it go, you could wreck the entire clutch mechanism and get stranded. As it stands now, if you do have the slave leak, you will need to have the entire clutch mechanism replaced and the seals all replaced. My job was $2200.00. I was lucky that the dealer ate the cost because there was less than 100 miles since I bought the bike. Bought it with 13,500 and have put 3000 on it in the last 4 months with 3 weeks in the shop. Love the bike. A real marrage wrecker!
Rick

Rick Mead
2004 K1200GT Orient Blue
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Is this something that should be expected in buying a K-bike of this vintage? I've noticed too many bikes for sale, like this one that have recently had similar problems. Was there a recall, or is there some sort of preventative procedure available?

Sorry, I'm new here and haven't been able to locate the other threads referred to on this topic.

Cheers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Oct 8th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Addict

Those that know, wait until they see a weep of oil under the clutch housing, or some oil from the rear drive, or clutch slipping and want to avoid a big dealer expense so might sell.

Conversely, those that know, may buy the bike showing the infamous leaks having asked the seller to check out the dealer price to repair. Then they wrench the bike themselves and get a decent bike for not a lot of money.

What does this all mean? There may be more imperfect used K-bikes around than perfect bikes. All the perfect bikes are still being ridden by their happy owners who are not ready to sell yet (no faults).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode