Fuel Cap Water drain - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 5:17 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Fuel Cap Water drain

G'day everyone.
I've noticed that my 2004 RS had water pooled in the lip of the drain around the filler inlet after washing it this week for the first time (my first time since purchase). Fuel cap looks fine re seals. I also noticed the finish in this drain assembly is a little tarnished, so this may have been a problem with the bike for a while.
You may remember that the bike is a very low mile (3000 mile) unit so has been sitting around a lot in Saudi Arabia!
Any ideas on how to ensure the drain pipe is functional from the filler cap gutter (sorry for the terminology, I haven't looked the part name up on the parts fiche.

Thanks for any advice.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2009, 6:58 pm
Addict

The hose that connects to that drain is normally route down to the bottom of the bike next to the other vent or drain hoses.
You should be able to blow though it.
I would open the fuel cap and cover the fuel tank inlet with a plasitc bag or tape and use a clean air sorce like the small cans we use to clean off the computer keyboards and blow though the drain hole to clear out the hose or find out if the hose is connected correctly.

Hope that helps.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 2009, 7:33 pm

Mine also stopped draining. Went to get gas after a rainy night and found the rim full of water. Blowing air is a great thing . I disconnected the line from the bottom of the tank and ran a thin wire (guitar string) up from the bottom like a drain snake. It freed up a bunch of gunk, (rust like, dirt etc) and bunch of dirty liquid flowed out. I then used some compressed air at a relatively low pressure sitting and blew from the top. It has drained good since.

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 4:09 am Thread Starter
Addict

Fuel tank Water Drain

Thanks Bazra and Stephen.
I'll give it a go this weekend before I wash the bike again. I'll let you know how I went.
I appreciate your help fellas

Best wishes from Oz.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 2009, 10:42 am Thread Starter
Addict

Hmm.
I just tried the air down the drain line,(and up) with no sucess. I also tried the light wire down and up the drain again, with no success. I'll steal a guitar string from my wifes guitar tomorrow and thy that. I removed the mounting for the fuel filler and couldn't see a blockage, but the wire would not go past the elbow (initial 15 mm). I'd say with out fail I have a blockage just after the elbow at the fuel filler drain.
I'll get back soon.

Ken.

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 12:01 pm
Addict

Check the routing of the two plastic drains and inspect them. Before I put a tie around mine and routed them inside of the Rear drive, I'm sure they could both work their way over to the muffler CAT and get melted. That's not so good for fuel overflow!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 2009, 6:00 pm

I checked mine tonight, one of the two tubes does have a valve of some sort fitted and the other is a blow straight through (drain tube). The one with the valve type thing in it is the fuel expansion vent from the tank itself, the blockage you mentioned could be the valve. Could somebody have possibly put the tubes on the wrong way round (would be inside the fuel tank)? Have you had a fuel filter service recently or any reason to take the filler cap/fill tube out?

There should be nothing in the drain pipe that an 'E' string would not shift as the fuel cap is closed most of the time. If something had crawled up the other end the 'E' string would have no problem shifting it.

As I said before so long as your fuel cap has remained closed then the only way to block it would be somethig crawling up the out end.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2009, 2:19 am Thread Starter
Addict

Unhappy

Hey fellas.
Well, I'm a bit of a dick head. It wasn't the fuel tank drain I've been plugging away at. It was some blind ended tube on the right hand side???
I can't for the life of me identify the fuel tank gutter drain line.
Any idea where it could be?
I've done a search on my 2001 K1200RS manual and that's no help.
What a great day.
The bike has the blocked fuel gutter, and a buggered quick disconnect on the Rt hand side, I've been trying to update the bios on my computer and that sucks, I went to install a new FAST AMD CPU, dropped the thing and bent lots of pins (magnifying glass and dental probe fix).
And to top it all off, our pet pig is fairly crook (sick).
I was going to get mildly drunk in protest but all I have in the fridge is low alcohol beer, Sharlene's gone to work (Police Officer) and I've had enough Scotch and Dry to just get me over the legal driving limit so I can't get myself any more Scotch!!!
One of those days!

Best wishes all.

Ken

Nth Queensland
AUSTRALIA

2005 K1200S
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 2009, 2:52 am

Hi Ken

Here you go, on the right hand side of the bike, just by the Q/disconnects there are two black tubes coming out from under the fuel tank pump/filter. They go to and behind the rear footrest and emerge in between the shaft drive and the exhaust, just a little to the rear and below the rear footrest. If you look through the centre of the rear footrest mount you should be just able to see them.

If you pull them both clear, of the foot rest and blow up them, one at a time, one will feel like its restricted (it is) but will let air pass through, this is the fuel vent. The other tube should be clear and when you blow up it you should hear the air at the filler cap escaping.

Have a look at page 73 (00.64) of your manual, it shows the breather and the drain tube and where they connect. Page 174 (16.5) shows a photo of the tubes exiting the fuel filter/pump housing (Numbered 2 in the photo).

Last edited by sundancer; Jul 18th, 2009 at 3:06 am.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2009, 11:50 am

Where my vent tube collected gunk was on the tank side of the connection at the bottom of the tank. That was were when I used a wire like a drain snake it freed up the block. I was working from that connection, not from the bottom end of the vent tube at the rear wheel..

NCS

NC Piedmont rider
03 K RS
74 Honda CB750
76 Pillion Rider Ver 1.0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode