Rear wheel slightly off - maybe? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Rear wheel slightly off - maybe?

I was cleaning the bike (2004 KRS) today and noticed a slight irregularity in the rear wheel lip on both sides. I've had a couple of sets of tires already, so I am wondering if the rim was damaged in the installation process, or if it could be a factory irregularity. It is only slight, and has no visible scratches or otherwise. I can't feel any vibration or anything - should I worry about it and see if it might be a warranty issue, or let it go? Anyone else noticed similar in their rear wheel?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2005, 8:08 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

noticed a slight irregularity in the rear wheel lip on both sides.

Hit a pothole maybe ???

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 6:10 am Thread Starter

Its possible in 12000 miles - but I can't recall hitting anything significant enough to bend a rim unless they are really soft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 9:50 am
Lee
Enthusiast

Let your dealer look at it and hope they call it a flaw from the factory.
Never hurts to ask.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 10:05 am

I've checked the runout on both wheels with my dial indicator to make sure they don't get bent during tire changes. BMW wheels are very soft and the new tire changing machines, with their plastic parts, don't leave marks on the paint of our wheels. If the tech doesn't do the change the correctly you can end up with a slightly bent/warped wheel.

Hitting pot holes wouldn't put in slight bending in the wheel but usually deep and/or sharp dents. That's what happened when I hit something metal in the road with my front wheel. It pulled the rim away from the base mount of the tire and I lost air pressure down to 20 pounds. It was enought to limp to work and then limp home and the $500 bill for the new front wheel made a believer out of me that I needed a better headlight to illuminate the roadway better in front of the bike.

I hit a pothole with my old ZX-11 and it didn't bend either wheel but it blew out the rear tire and damaged the alarm so all at the same time the rear wheel blew and the engine stopped. Thankfully I was only a few miles from home and the tow bill was only $100.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 15th, 2005, 2:16 pm Thread Starter

To rule out the pothole possibility, I weighted the back of the bike so I could spin the front wheel and it is perfect. I'm running under the logical assumption that if I had hit a pothole or something big enough to bend the rear, it would have tweaked the front equally or more. Based on that finding, I will ask the dealer about it and see what can be done.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Did another experiment - ran the bike on the centerstand and let the wheel spin a little in neutral as it will do. I marked the off-area on one side with tape, and then did the same with the other side. The off-area is the same on both sides of the wheel, which does lead me more to a large bump or pothole conclusion. I am surprised the front is still perfect though even if that is the case. Anyway, based on that I don't think I'll bother my dealer with it as I can't be sure of the cause and without facts, I don't want to pin on them or BMW. I think it is minor enough that a pro straightening shop could probably cure it, so I am looking into that - or a new wheel if necessary. I think though that I will follow Jay's suggestion of using a dial indicator after every tire change just to be safe in case a bend pops up again in the future that I can't explain.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 16th, 2005, 3:21 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsienville
To rule out the pothole possibility, I weighted the back of the bike so I could spin the front wheel and it is perfect. I'm running under the logical assumption that if I had hit a pothole or something big enough to bend the rear, it would have tweaked the front equally or more. Based on that finding, I will ask the dealer about it and see what can be done.
I think the front end could be a little lighter than the rear if you hit the pot hole while accelerating. I bent the rear wheel on a /5 and the front was fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode